Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stains on the underside

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stains on the underside

Last week I rescued a 4 year old Tri male from a puppy mill situation. He is horribly underweight but getting better. I can't count every rib just by looking anymore. I am having him neutered next week. He also has to have extensive dental surgery which I'm having done at the same time as the neuter. He is terribly stained from living in his own filth for so long. Does anyone know of anything I can use to make him white again? We won't even get into the smell, I know that will eventually go away. Poor little guy is just the sweetest thing. It breaks my heart that he could have been treated so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Somebody asked this very question recently. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sorry, I can't find it. Hopefully someone will be able to find it for you.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Think this would make a good topic for a sticky as it comes up fairly regularly but searching for the answers is a puzzle.

On stained white dogs, after shampooing, my groomer uses plain old Mrs. Stewarts bluing-have to be careful about the amt or you will have a blue dog .

Removing as much of the yellowed hair as possible is a help.
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear he's now in your loving care. Poor little guy.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When the hair is that badly stained, it may make sense to just trim it back. It will grow out again. My rescue Lily, who was about a year or two old when I got her and very, very grubby, remained dingy looking on her white fur for months and months. It took bath after bath over time to help her white fur whiten. Urine can really stain though and because of the smell it may just be better to trim or shave him.

If you do want to try to get it out, one thing that really helps is actually sand. Mine are never as white as fter I take them to the beach where they get wet and run around on the sand, which works into their coat and obviously abrades the dirt off. Once they are home and the coat dries, they are really clean! Another possibility to try would be baking soda -- make a paste, work it into the coat on the underside, leave it for a while, and then rinse. Make sure he cannot lick it off.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, I found a recipe and advice in Barbara Garnett-Wilson's wonderful The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in Fact and Fancy -- I knew there was some info on removing stains there.

For yellow stains, she says to shampoo the area with a combination of 50% waterless shampoo and 50% hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) before bedtime. In the morning, lightly mist with diluted conditioner. Treat daily until the stains disappear. She says purple shampoo helps neutralise yellow stains too. She says not to use bleach as it opens the hair cuticle making it even more susceptible to staining.

From page 248.

I know we'd all love to see some pictures too!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'll give that recipe a try. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I figure out how, Remus & Loki too. His name is now Leopold but we call him Leo and I think he's starting to know that's his name. I did have him shaved down on the underside. He is really, really stained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Be very careful to keep the hydrogen peroxide solution away from his face and eyes. It can be very damaging to the eyes.

I love the name Leopold! Bless you for bringing him into your loving home and family.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Of course I can only look forward to meeting another cavalier named Leo.

It's wonderful that you have him out of that hideous situation.
    Karlin