• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bathing

I know dogs are not to be bathed more than twice a month otherwise harm can come to their skin. However, we just rescued a puppy mill dog and she is having some issues. I took her to the groomer about two half weeks ago to get her all clean and cut. Then this past Weds. she pooped in her cage. My husband gave her a bath and didn't do the best job. Now she just finished her ear medicine today (YEAH!!), but it has left her ears and neck all oily feeling. She is also due for a biospot treatment. I want to give her a bath tonight, but I'm afraid I could dry out her skin. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

:)

As long as you use a mild dog shampoo, I would give her a bath.

I bathe Daisy once a week. I can't stand doggy smell. She's never shown any signs of skin problems. I always rinse her really, really well.

I agree, it should be fine to give her another bath. We give Jato a bath every week or two, and his skin and fur are beautiful.

I'd just bathe her. :) You might want to get some advice on using a crate for puppy mill dogs though -- generally this is not a very good way of housetraining them as they have been caged all their lives. It also puts them back into a small confined place, the same environment they just came from (to them, there will be little difference between being crated and being caged). They also generally will not keep a crate clean (as you have seen) as they never have learned to keep a confined space clean, so it is more or less useless for housetraining. I think if movement needs to be restricted, using an xpen is kinder and less stressful. I'd never deliberately crate an ex mill dog myself and know a lot of rescues would take this approach -- I will leave them an open crate to use as a den but would always use an xpen or just put the dog in a hard floored space like a kitchen and gate it off. Others obviously have different approaches and philosophies, but perhaps it is something to consider.

When we got her they had her using a crate. She does great in the crate. I went away for 2 days and left the husband in charge...I think she got mad. She did it to the foster family once. The wife left for a mini-vacation and returned to hear about dog poop in Dakota's cage. This is the ONLY accident we have had in her crate, the house is another story. We are still working.

I just got a puppy mill rescue and I've been bathing him often. I ordered some special shampoo with a leave in spray on conditioner. It keeps the static and matts down. He is so soft and loves the extra attention that he gets at bath time. I won't put him in a crate. I put a child gate up in the kitchen. He has his food, water, and new bed. Leo loves it in there. He knows when it's time to go and walks right in and lays down on his bed. I haven't come home to any mess either.
:jump:

I wouldn't hesitate to bathe as often as necessary. There are plenty of gentle shampoos you could use that won't dry her out.

I know what you mean about the ear medicine...yuck. Jake had an ear infection a while bag and I had to put panalog in his ears twice a day. What a oily greasy mess that was.

The bath was a success!! Does anyone have tips for getting their ears to dry faster? Four hours later and they were still damp. Thanks.

Back