• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What is the kicking about???

Mom of Jato

:confused: Why do dogs kick out their back legs after going poo? Jato does this sometimes, and I'm just wondering what it means in the doggie world.

I think they do this to cover up their poo and also they have scent glands on their pads so I guess they are leaving a calling :grnyuk:card

I would love to know this 2 as my girl Lucie does it all the time.
It drives me nuts, as i usually get caught in grass/mud she pulls up as i try to get the poop in a bag!:eek:

I believe it is actually the opposite of covering their feces. Cats cover feces but dogs apparently kick out to mark their territory more effectively with the scent glands on the bottom of their feet. It is basically a way of saying 'I was here'. It happens after they urinate or poop but is nothing to actually do with trying to spread or cover the pee or poop. Their pee/poop is part of marking the territory anyway so the feet wiping is just part of the whole behaviour.

To show it who's boss! :) Mine always does this and once kicked a great wad of snow right in my eye as I bent over to bag the poo.

Back