• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Drowning...need prayers and hope

brotymo

Today, things went terrible for our family and our lovable cavalier. She was playing in the yard with my 9 year old. Having fun with the hose and splashing in a VERY shallow, small kiddie pool (like 4 to 5 inches of water). She was fetching toys up off the bottom of the water. She would reach in (maybe the water would reach up to her eyes when she'd put her head under) and pick them up off the bottom. I worked around the yard and even played with them some, and then we came inside. Pixie came in and rolled her wet self around on the carpet and ran around like usual. Then she came over to me begging for a treat, which I gave her. About 2 minutes later, she vomited. It was grass and water, so I thought she was nauseous and had eaten grass, which would also explain the vomiting. I was cleaning that up when she started yelping in pain and looking like she couldn't figure out how to escape her pain. It became clear something was dreadfully wrong. Her pain was extreme, and I couldn't pinpoint it. When I picked her up, I had to do so without reaching under her belly or she would scream. I thought she might have a stomach blockage or something. It is sunday, so the only vet is a 24 hour clinic 40 minutes away. We were driving that way within 5 minutes. Pixie was very tense and still and drooling the whole ride. She wanted to be in my lap, so I held her there as I drove. About 10 minutes from the clinic, she looked like she was going to sleep, and her eyes were darting around under the lids and she was grimacing like she was dreaming. I could feel her heart pounding. Now, I believe she was having a seizure. About 3 or 4 miles from the clinic, she became limp, no heartbeat, no breathing. My daughter was screaming and crying (my other 2 kids, fortunately were with friends) and I was driving and trying to do rescue breathing and cpr at the same time. I had her hugged to my chest, breathing into her nose with her mouth clamped shut and squeezing her chest as best I could and I steering with my knee and flew to the clinic. They were able to restart her heart, but she remains in a coma now 8 hours later, and has had two more cardiac arrests. She is on a ventilator and her blood pressure is low. What we have learned is, Pixie, our sweet water-loving, playful dog, who is just shy of her first birthday, is a victim of dry drowning. It is when water gets in the lungs, but death isn't immediate. The damage to the lungs deprives the brain and heart of oxygen. The vet aspirated much water out of her lungs, but they are damaged from the drowning. We don't know if she will pull through, or if she will have quality of life if she does. They have given her a 10% chance. Please pray for us, or whatever kind of divine intervention you might believe in. We love her dearly, and we are devastated. I feel responsible for encouraging the water fetching game. I know many lovers of cavaliers are here, and I just need a shoulder to lean on. My kids are leaning on me right now.
Pixie.jpg

Oh, I can't imagine what you and your family must be going through right now. I have never, ever heard of this happening and it breaks my heart just thinking about it.:( Please know that you and your precious dog are in my thoughts and prayers!:hug:

Thank you. It means a lot to know others understand my love for our dog (more like child) and are pulling for Pixie.

Oh no. I can't imagine how you must feel right now. I will pray for Pixie and your family. I wouldn't imagine something could happen the way you describe it, and I really hope Pixie recovers. :hug:
Charlotte

OMG Im in tears reading your post. You must be going crazy. I pray your beautiful baby pulls through and is ok. Ive not heard of this happening before so I am grateful to you sharing your experience with us. Putting myself in your place.....doesnt bare thinking about. I pray Pixie survives this ordeal. I will be thinking of you all today. Gentle hugs to you.

OMG what a terrible thing to happen. Same as the others have never heard of this happening. Well done for keeping ur cool as i dont know if i could of. U and ur fdamily and of course Pixie will be in our thoughts. :hug:

OMG what a terrible thing to happen. Same as the others have never heard of this happening. Well done for keeping ur cool as i dont know if i could of. U and ur fdamily and of course Pixie will be in our thoughts. :hug:

Yes well done for your fast actions...I will be thinking of you and your little pixie..best wishes for a happy outcome.

OMG.. I'm shaking all over when reading this..
Please keep us updated, I'll be crossing my fingers today and I'm sure our cavs will be doing the same for Pixie..

I REALLY hope things will work out for the best..
Lots and lots and lots of hugs!!!

Oh I am so sorry. Thoughts and prayers for you and sweet Pixie and your family. I read something not long ago alerting parents to this and to be careful.

Oh how awful for you. Have never heard of this before and like you have a cav that loves retrieving things from water!
Thinking of you and hope that Pixie pulls through.

OMG!!! Well done for thinking so quickly in such a stressful situation and getting her to the vet asap.

You are both in my prayers. :hug: :hug:

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry what a tragic thing to happen.

Pixie and you all are in our thoughts and prayers

Thank you to all of you for your empathy and kind words. I got up and called to check on her this morning, but am having to wait for their shift change to find out about her night. I am waiting for the River clinic to call. I thought I'd come on here for a little support while I waited for that call. My children are sleeping and I hate to wake them, so we will go to see her when they are up.

What I have learned is that what happened to Pixie is a condition when the water in her lungs gets absorbed into the blood stream through the alveoli sacs. For one, the water in her lungs is starving her brain of oxygen, but also, this alters the blood chemistry dangerously causing the cardiac problems she experienced. Her potassium got dangerously low and her blood sugar got dangerously high. All things that the heart can't tolerate.

I am dreadfully aware that the vet said she needed to be of the ventilator within 24 hours, or her chances were not good (can it get much worse than 10%?). At 1:30 this morning, she still wasn't breathing on her own and had no neurological response. Basically, her heart is beating, but otherwise she's just "there".

I'd give my right arm to go back and change what has happened. All you cav. owners, and any other dog owner, be aware of this problem. The vet who received Pixie at the clinic says she used to see this more frequently when she lived and worked at a clinic near the beach. Hours after a romp and fetch game in the waves at the ocean, dogs would arrive suffering from this. (commonly labradors) If caught before the cardiac arrest, their chances are 50%. As it stands for Pixie now, her chances are 10%. I am holding on to that 10%.

Fortunately, I had registered on here a few months ago to research health insurance for her, and I bought a policy through Embrace based on what you guys reported. For that reason, I feel better about affording her care. The bill so far has reached $1,500.00 already, and I'd hate to think I had to make a decision based on money. I am a single mom with 3 kids, so money isn't always in abundance.

What a horrible way to start off my Monday morning coffee. I feel sick for you. I've never heard of dry drowning before.

Please know you aren't alone. I'm sure many will be following this post closely praying for good news:xfngr: .

AWWW, that is so awful. I am praying for Pixie and your family. I am with everyone else, never heard of this. Thanks for the warning though. I am pulling for her to come through this. My thoughts are with you. Keep us posted. Hopefully you will get some good news soon.

I am so sorry for all you are going through and appreciate you coming on to share the experience and warn others. I hope the support from so many will go some way to easing the distress just a bit and that all our good thoughts will help Pixie too. :flwr:

How horrible for you and your kids and Pixie. You did so well caring for her and the kids during that drive that must have been a nightmare. I cannot imagine your devastation at this cruel turning of events and pray that Pixie can come back. As I read this I kept thinking it's too early in the am to cry :(. Thank you for sharing with us and giving us fair warning. For you, for the kids and for Pixie prayers of caring.

Back