• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Here, but not to Cavaliers

eisens

Hi everyone! I'm really pleased to find this board.

Since the mid 1980s I've been the proud and happy ownee of Cavaliers.

My first was a Blenheim from Ravenrush named "Charlie" (Ravenrush One and Only). Charlie was a great dog. Besides being loving and sweet, he was protective. When Charlie was a year old I got another Cavalier (Harry, more on him in a minute).

In crate training Harry I left the puppy in his cage one day with Charlie (already trained) loose. I came home to find the crate torn apart. Apparently Charlie was upset that the puppy was left a prisoner!

Harry (Somerset Harrison) was the puppy from h*ll. He was a gorgeous Ruby (sired from Ravenrush and dam from Somerset). He ate all the woodwork in my house -- and when I put hot sauce on it to dissuade him he liked it all the more!

I bought a leather sofa and chair. That evening I came home to find Harry had EATEN the arm off of my brand new chair. Believe it or not, Harry wound up being my favorite of all my dogs over the years!

Charlie died just shy of his 5th birthday of some liver disease unknown (seemed to be copper processing disorder). Harry and I got a pretty little Blenheim also sired from Ravenrush and dam from Somerset. Somerset Sophia immediately put Harry in his place!

At this time my mom moved in with me. She had her own Blenheim, Ravenrush Tattersall, aka Timmy.

Timmy, Harry and Sophie were a happy trio for nearly 10 years. Harry and Timmy eventually and MVD with all the related medications and tests, but they were happy.

Harry had hip dysplasia (surgery) and eventually became paralized from a spinal problem which surgery only seemed to make worse. Harry went from the wood chewing, cat "treeing" wonder to a doggie wheelchair bound but very happy lay about.

Sophie eventually went blind (her corneas "blew"), but she was a happy girl too.

I realize I'm giving you all the medical stats here, but Harry and Timmy lived to about 12 and Sophie to 17, so there were a lot of good years in there, too.

In 1999 I had a baby and Harry (who couldn't walk) slobbered all over my son and loved him to bits. Before my son was two we lost Timmy (MVD), Harry (MVD and his paralysis causing organ failure) and my mother (smoking).

Sophie stuck around until my son was about 6. She died of cancer at the ripe old age of 17, having been blind for about 3 years.

We then adopted a beautiful ex-show dog from Renee Wise of Tomnee Cavaliers. The bitches' show name was Tomnee Enola Gaye which we promptly changed to "Puppers."

Puppers is now 5 1/2 and spoiled to bits. No sign of MVD, Puppers is the darling of my son's friends and school where she is fawned over by all as the royalty that she is. Unfortunately we had a scare this last week when she began yipping in pain.

Apparently she has an old neck injury which flared up in a big way. Our vet gave her a prednisone shot and some pills (had to do the shots twice), and she seems to be on the mend.

So: Charlie, Harry, Timmy, Sophie and now Puppers. In 20+ years I've been owned by 5 Cavaliers. I wouldn't dream of having any other dog as they are the funniest, dumbest (and smartest), kindest and just most loving animal anyone could want to have in their life.

Puppers sleeps with my son, curling up in a little "Cavalier Curl" and we couldn't be happier to be a Cavalier family, and to have found this forum.

Sandy (and Sam), and of course -- Puppers.

WOW !!!!! Welcome... I am sure you will be able to give the rest of us that are fairly new to this breed lots of great information....;)

icon_welcome you're proof cavaliers are addictive:)

I sure am! I wouldn't have any other dog. Cavaliers are sweet, silly, funny, playful, affectionate, full of the devil! Although they are small and royal they have a "let's have fun and roll in the mud" kind of attitude that is contagious!

In other words they sure love life!

One day when Timmy, Harry and Sophie were alive I bought a basketball for them to play with -- this is because no ball lasted more than 5 minutes with this bunch. We went out in the back yard and they were trying to kill that poor ball. The basket ball lasted LESS than five minutes.

I gave up. :luv:

Here is a picture of Harry and me.

my.php

Here is a picture of my son with Puppers.

my.php

:jump:

You obviously have been owned by Cavaliers for many happy years, despite the ups and downs with health issues. Welcome to the board and will look forward to future posts and pictures!

So true. You know you are owned by a Cavalier when you move over in the bed at night because they curled up "dead center." I also had to buy myself extra pillows because the dogs love to lay next to my head on MY pillow.

:lotsaluv:

Puppers is doing much better, BTW. Her prednisone is now every other day and my problem is to stop her from jumping around too much.

Back