• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Treatball tricks and clicker

Ciren

what do you use in your treatballs, someone else suggested smelly stuff to encourage her as feeding her dinner in there didnt seem to work.

also can anyone recommend a good book for training clickers (thanks)

It can take dogs a long time to figure out a treatball. You are just supposed to use normal dry food or it will get clogged up and dirty. Not all dogs care to play with them though. I wouldn't try to push a dog to do anything -- if she's interested, she might eventually play with one, but she may never play with one. Only two of my four are into playing with treat balls and only one would actively play with one.

Karen Pryor's books are the best for clicker work (she basically invented it); you can buy a starter book with clicker from many places. :) Be sure not to click close to the dog's head and ears. That's the one mistake a lot of people make and it just scares the dog off clicker training! (y)

I'm not sure if you've heard of or seen a buster cube before:

http://www.dog.com/item/buster-food-cube/

Faith is highly treat motivated and figured out how to work this thing in no time flat! I love it because when she's finished fishing for treats, she is exhausted and sleeps :D

I put zuke's training treats or "Train me!" treats inside of it. Every once in a while I will get a bag of charlee bears with small enough pieces to fit through the hole, and I love that! To clean, I generally just rinse it out :)

Good luck! :dogwlk:

Back