• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Drowning Risk

brotymo

I wanted to make sure you all know what I have learned since losing our Pixie to dry drowning. A dog lover friend of mine emailed me this (sorry for the all caps, I just copied and pasted):

TWICE BEFORE I'VE HAD FRIENDS LOSE A PET FROM DRY DROWNING, ONE , A BLACK LAB, DIED AFTER HAVING GONE DUCK HUNTING IN CHOPPY WATER, AND ONE AFTER GETTING A BATH IN A TUB..

Another member also sent a private message about a cavalier owner whose dog was spashing and playing in the water along a lake and had the same thing happen.

Please just use caution with your little water-loving babies. I think the fearlessness of the breed makes them more vulnerable to accidents. Pixie would run right up to the mower if you didn't close her in the house and lock her doggie door, and she'd run right up to any dog or animal or person. She'd try anything. She was like a little brave lion in a lambs body. I don't think she ever perceived a risk in anything. She probably thought she could breathe water.
I just don't want anyone else to go through with their dogs what we have with Pixie.

Last edited:
I think you've made a very valid point. These little guys are fearless, for the most part, and it's up to us to protect them. What I took away from your sad sad story was to be alert to potential problems.

Thanks Suzie, for your invaluable information, I for one hadn't heard of it so I will be watching my gang this summer. Take Care.

You've opened many eyes, and I know those of us who have followed this tragic situation will be very cautious in future around water. Thanks for all your information at this heartbreaking time. :flwr:

I'm going to have to warn my daughter who has a black lab that LOVES the water and to retrieve in the water. I know she has to be swallowing water while holding on and swimming in.
Sorry this had to happen to you but it also woke up the rest of us to watch out so another tragic accident doesn't happen.

I am so sorry you had to suffer this tragedy so others can be educated. I had never heard of anything like that. My Remus loves playing in the pool now I'm afraid to let him go near it.

My Remus loves playing in the pool now I'm afraid to let him go near it.

Please don't be afraid to let him play in the pool. You just have to be very careful and aware of his behavior. I know Pixie's mom did not do anything wrong and this turned so tragic for her and her family but it doesn't mean dogs shouldn't play in water....or go for walks, or be around other dogs, etc. You just have to be vigilant and aware. Neither of mine really digs the water but if I had one that did....I would limit their exposure, but not cut it off all together.

I am so sorry you had to suffer this tragedy so others can be educated. I had never heard of anything like that. My Remus loves playing in the pool now I'm afraid to let him go near it.
Hi, I agree with the other user who said not to be overly afraid. Though I lost Pixie, my Vizsla lives for the sprinkler, He grabs the head of it in his mouth and water sprays all down his throat. I had a mix that stuck her whole head underwater at the lake to fetch rocks off the bottom!
That is why I never thought twice about Pixie. I will just never encourage another dog to water fetch again or get in the water. Only if they do so on their own accord. I still have the pool out there for our collie, our vizsla and our malamute mix. They have enjoyed it for years.

Back