• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Something weird is going on with Tybalts fur/skin

There's no harm in trying to get a sooner appointment.This is definitely a case for the vet.Could be an allergy to flea bites/food or a skin infection.There does seem to be some scab formation there. Our Daisy I suspect has been bitten by insects and is covered in small welts and scabs but they're healing up now and she's been dosed with frontline in case of ticks.If he's been going through high grass he could have been bitten by insects or biting fleas/ticks....either way a visit to the vet is best and hopefully something can be prescribed to reduce any irritation he has with this.
Sins

That does look very like Teddy's chest and underparts, due to his partly unknown allergies, but he did lick hard and scratch lots.

Id certainly have it checked by the vet, it may be a mite infection. Looks sore to me. Hope you get him sorted soon.:paw:

I would definitely get an appointment today for him, even if I had to go to a different vet. Please let us know how your little guy is doing and what the vet finds. :flwr:

as already said could be an allergy or bites or could be grass seeds. Our previous cav had something whcih looked very similar and was put right by some medication from the vet- so the sooner you get there the quicker it will be sorted I reckon!

Yep, I'd get him in sooner. Definitely looks like it's inflamed and/or infected. Could be any of the above mentioned cases....alllergies, fleas, mites. But you're right, it's definitely not normal. Let us know how it goes.

Wow, that looks sore.. poor baby. Some dogs are allergic to chemicals sprayed on grass-- some are even allergic to some types of grass. Being on his legs (only) screams contact dermatitis (unless his eyes, ears etc... are also affected. Mange is another possibility. Hope you find out soon..

I couldn't get him in today, but when I talked to the vet over the phone, he said he sees A LOT of this in the summer and while it's probably just an allergy or contact dermatitis, to move his appointment to Friday. He told me if I wanted to, to give him some Bendaryl to help with any itching, but I think I am going to hold off on that. Tybalt doesn't scratch it or seem to be bothered by it.

Also, a little bit funny. When I told the receptionist that Tybalt was a cavalier, she got all giddy and told me she couldn't wait to see him. She said Tybalt is just but one of a handful of Cavaliers in this area that she knows about. :D So I told Tybalt that we would have to put on his special, fancy sparkly collar for the visit to impress the ladies at the vet(y)

Update Good news and even better news.And a tiny bit of bad news.

Ok, so I took Tybalt in and he has demodex mites, the vet called it the red mange. Vet was a little worried about the demodex because it could mean Tybalt's immune system is a bit wonky since he isn't under any stress or anything that could suppress it. But hopefully it's more likely that the wonky immune system is just due to his hormones changing, he is right at that age where they start to transistion over to adult. That's the bad news.

Vet gave him a shot of ivermectin to jump start getting rid of the mites and also gave me Promeris to place on his skin and a two week course of anti-biotics.

I am also going to start him on his heartworm preventive after this course of medicine and the vet said the ivermectin in it will help contain any future flare ups if he has any. That's the good news.

Also, Tybalt's heart sounded good! Dr didn't note any murmurs and was very reassuring to me that he understood Cavaliers were high risk for MVD and that should be our top priority to look out for and gave me the numbers and address of the closest animal cardiologists (there are just a few in this area and pretty far away) and said at least once a year, I need to have Tybalt checked by one. Does that sound about right?

And the entire office just loved Tybalt. He slept almost the whole time, I kid you not. They couldn't get over it. He got passed around and loved on. He ate it up.:lotsaluv:

So yay! Nothing that can't be fixed with a little TLC.

Last edited:
I was just reading on another list about someone who's dog had this type of mange as a puppy and this is what they used in addition to whatever your vet prescribes, of course:

If you are speaking of dermodectic mange, I can tell you what worked for a rescue pup that we got. First of all, consider it an immune system problem. We fed a very natural dog food that was chemical-free, preservative-free, etc. and added immune-boosting supplements. If you are energetic enough, you could use the raw diet. The most effective for our dog was Transfer Factor Plus from 4Life. We just opened a capsule onto his food each day. Topically, we applied Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree oil) mixed in some olive oil to kill off the little critters that cause the problem. We also bathed him in a Melaleuca shampoo. We would probably use Young Living's new pet shampoo now. If you use chemical dewormers
and/or vaccines, please don't give them until the dog has conquered the mange.

It took maybe 6 months or so to completely overcome this in our dog. Be patient and persistent. Since the dog you speak of has been on antibiotics, it is extra important to add probiotics to its diet.

I just pulled Jake medical file....and boy did we go through a lot when he was a puppy!!! I thought he'd had demodex mites and sure enough he did. We used an antibiotic and goodwinol ointment. From what I can read on his charts that cleared him up.

Glad you took Tybalt in and found out what was going on. Hope he's all better soon.

Back