• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

To Get A Puppia or Not To Get....

LaLa

Hey All,

I have been doing loads of reading on Puppia's and the results are very mixed :neutral:

Is there something similar to the puppia but with stronger clasps etc? Only, I like the idea that it doesn't pull around the neck but not so keen on some of the flaws in the design that I have read about. :confused:

If anyone has experience of other ones, I would love to hear about them (good or bad) :dogwlk:

Thanks!:)

There is nothing wrong with the Puppia harness that I've heard. It's the Puppia lead that has been a problem for some of our members.

I use the puppia harness with a different brand of lead, and have never experienced a problem. :flwr: You can purchase just the harness without the lead.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the Puppia harness that I've heard. It's the Puppia lead that has been a problem for some of our members.

I use the puppia harness with a different brand of lead, and have never experienced a problem. :flwr: You can purchase just the harness without the lead.

Funny you should say that, I was just looking to see if the harness had to be used with the puppia leads!

I had read that dogs were able to wriggle out of the harnesses, even with them fitting properly...this would obviously be something I want to avoid if possible!! :)

Oh, I forgot about that! I've only used a puppia on my adult cavaliers. I didn't know about puppia when they were puppies.

How old is your puppy?

It looks as though wriggling out of them is pretty common!

Haven't got pup home yet, but we will be bringing him home in 2 weeks where he will be just over 8 weeks!!! We can't wait!

I have Puppias for all three of my gang and I really like the harnesses- they are really easy to put on & take off, they're very lightweight & breathable and wash well. I would recommend them without a second thought.

Just keep in mind that I think a lot of people, myself included, tend to order them too big. Go online and look at their sizing chart and take measurements of your dog. Order the one the chart says will fit. I also have the Puppia leash and I don't like it. The harness will work with any leash.

Yes, the sizing chart is important!(y)

I used the sizing chart, and all 3 of my adult cavaliers fit the medium harness. I'm sure a large would be too big for them.

There is quite a difference between the small and medium sizes. When a puppy is in between sizes it could be a problem.

Maybe a step in harness would fit better at that point in time.

I have never had a problem with the puppia and Hali has had one since she was about 3 months old. I think the problem is that some wear them too big. We have never had a problem and when Hali sees that pink puppia she KNOWS she is going for a walk and steps right in. I love the whole line of puppia products, I have a raincoat, winter coat, two harnesses, and several sweatshirts. Price is moderate and quality is great & she looks sooooo cute.

ive got about 8 puppias & leads for my girls and have never had a problem with them, they are brilliant. I am cautious to check the clasps on the leads regularly as I know some people have had issues with them breaking but then really any lead could break at any time.

I also have seatbelt extensions which clip onto the puppia for the car and they are fantastic:)

Same here: I have puppias for mine, and they have worked for me. I should note though, that I have small cavaliers (Cedar has filled-out to 14 pounds, and Holly and Willow are both around 11 pounds). They eventually all grew into the medium (though they wore smalls until full adult size). The Medium is a bit loose around the neck for Holly and Willow, so I make sure the strapping is adjusted to fit snuggly. I don't think they could get out of it if they wanted to, even though the head part is larger.

Another key thing is that all of my dogs have been trained to walk on a loose lead (they still pull forward at the start of a walk when they are excited, but they can't get out of the harness by pulling forward. The stories about getting out of the harness is when the dog backs out of it, pulling backward). My dogs never pull backward in their harnesses. If the occasion arises when they get nervous, they either stop in their tracks or stand behind me. This only happens on walks when Cedar sees a gutter drain; she is frightened of them for some reason. She's learned to give them a wide berth and they won't hurt her. ;)

When I first got my Maverick I had gotten him a gooby freedom harness and found the price good but the quality very poor. After about 3 months the metal clasp doesn't work very well anymore. I soon won a bid on a puppia on ebay and havn't looked back except for that I got the fabric camo one that doesn't breath as well as the mesh. I just picked up a simple step in harness for the hot summer for now till I have the extra money to pick up a mesh puppia.... and pick what color.

I have no issues with my puppia but Maverick hasn't tried to back out of it so that would be my only fear for the normal harness compared to the vest/step in type.

I too love the Puppia harness. Jato fits into a medium size, and I can't imagine how he would ever escape it. The band around the middle is totally adjustable. When I ask him if he wants to go for a walk, he gets all excited and runs to the cabinet where I keep the Puppia. He sits down so I can slip it over his head, and then stands to step into it. He loves it!!! I feel very safe taking him for a walk with it on.

Not had a puppia so not able to comment but I recently got a sensi-ble harness from TKC on this board and can really recommend it!!!!!!!!!!! Ruby doesn't pull at all any more.Good luck with pup,do we have a name yet?
Just thinking am I talking to same lovely person from my rabbit forum???? :)

Not had a puppia so not able to comment but I recently got a sensi-ble harness from TKC on this board and can really recommend it!!!!!!!!!!! Ruby doesn't pull at all any more.Good luck with pup,do we have a name yet?
Just thinking am I talking to same lovely person from my rabbit forum???? :)

Haha, I was looking through old posts lastnight and came across some of yours and noticed lovely Ruby and wondered if it was you!!! (y) But yes, it is me, lol!!! I am pretty sure he will be called Dooley ;) We thought it was an original name until the neighbour told us the other night her staffy is called Dooley, so we are just making sure we still think it would suit our lil man! hubby wants Bailey...!!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think that I am going to try one as I would really like the idea it doesn't pull on the neck.

Does anyone just have a normal collar and lead and find it absolutely fine? :confused: I would appreciate your comments too!

If I do get one, is pet london the place to get it from? And do they do different kinds? As I see people are talking about step in ones and mesh ones.... :confused:

Sorry for all the questions :thnku: for the replies!

Nice to chat to you on here too!!! :) I love the name Dooley :lotsaluv: Good luck with your search.I found it all very stressful when I was looking For Ruby's harness,didn't know which size etc but so glad I got it (after lots of brilliant advice on here (y)) Love to you and the gorgeous Sophie :luv:

Sasha had a puppia harness but broke it. I found it quite tricky to put on her, but that could have been Sashas excitment making it hard. Very light and comfy for the dog though. Have no problems with my lead, i like it. It has an unusual clip on it so very safe, still use it.
May have a look at getting a new puppia harness for her.

Does anyone just have a normal collar and lead and find it absolutely fine? :confused: I would appreciate your comments too!

Most people don't walk small dogs on collars because they have sensitive necks and it can cause issues with cavaliers with sm.

Sparky has a small puppia at the moment (& a medium waiting to be used!!) It fits him perfectly although it's s bit of a job to get on him as the neck bit is a bit small to get his ears through - but when/if he stands still we don't have too much of a problem & he defo can't wriggle out of it.

Saying all this in maybe a month or so I don't recon that he'll fit into the neck hole of the puppia & I tryed the medium on him & it's way too big for him right now so I'm not sure what I'll be doing then! - not sure how safe cutting a bit of the smalls neck would be ......

I never walk any dog on a collar - even big dogs, with the bigger dogs (my parents have a GSD) I feel you have more control of them with a harness than a collar & obviuosly with small dogs they can be injured & then of course with Cav;s & their sensitive necks......... I also think that if I were a dog (maybe I think too much!!) I wouldn't wanna be dragged around by my neck.

Last edited:
Back