Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leptospirosis

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn, I'm so sorry. Thinking of Hogan right now, and so hoping it isn't Lepto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been abroad the last three days so just catching up on this. I sure hope it is just an infection -- keep in mind a stone partially passed, or a bad UTI, could make a dog really feel frantic when weeing, so I don't think the symptoms you describe of him running madly around would be too off for a severe infection, a UTI or kidney infection, or stones or similar. I am glad he seems to be doing a bit better.

Lepto is the same as Weil's Disease in humans and can be not just serious but even rarely, fatal. There's one famous case of a golfer getting it from a golf ball in an area where rats must have wee'd and he must have touched his hand to his mouth as some point... . Usually it is very treatable if caught early and you'd definitely have done that because as Sandy notes when a dog has lepto it is generally very, very weak and ill. So I don't think he'd be showing urinary problems until the disease was advanced and he was outwardly very ill already (see the link below) so the likelihood is this is something else as he is generally OK in other ways, I think and hope!!

Many researchers do feel that though lepto vaccinations only can cover some strains (like the flu vaccines) that those most likely to be caught are covered and that the vax may well give some protection even if a different strain is contracted (again like the flu vaccine).

I generally get the lepto vax at a time to cover the period when they are most likely to be exposed -- early spring through autumn. It is still only recommended as an annual vaccine, generally.

Here's some CDC info on it.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorr to hear about poor Hogan - I really hope it is just a little infection and that he will soon be back to normal.

Very hard for you after your recent loss - they always pick the worst possible time to fall ill don't they?]

Thinking of you all
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sending good wishes for Hogan..
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Sending good wishes to you and Hogan.

Hope it's a UTI.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, he seems to be perking up a little~ good sign...Ill be interested in hearing back from the vets about the test results, Im not sure if it will be Wednesday or Thursday~ Thanks again....
    A Good Attitude is like Kudzu~ It spreads quickly and never stops growing.......

Post Thanks / Like

Hope he feels better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you say he is picking up.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Just to let you know I'm thinking of you and Hogan and for his results, Hugs from us
    Elaine and Cody