• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yearly injections

Bunnylover

Had an email from my breeder to say their vet had sent a reminder for the pups they had last year (Ruby's litter) are now due their yearly jabs,but I thought it was a year from the last of the set of 2 which would be in July.Can anyone point me in the right direction please,thanks :)

I really wouldn't worry, 2 weeks won't make much difference either way. But, as we have seen in another thread, the Lepto vaccine can last less than a year so you may as well get them done now.

It's nice of her to give you the reminder.

For mine it has always been 12 months from the last, but time isn't that critical. My vet, who has recently gone over to the regime of only giving some vaccines every three years, mentioned that the ones needed annually actually last for about 18 months (lepto and parvo I believe). He has waited to go to the splitting method, until the vaccine producers approve, so there can be no repercussions.

Thanks alot :) I was going to get her done end of July as thats when she'd had her last jab,I'll give my vet a ring and ask their advice too (thought I'd ask you lor first!) I'm always either at the vets or ringing them with Ruby or the rabbits icon_blshing I thought it was lovely of them to let me know too.

I was told the 3 year regime is only safe on the assumption all other dogs in your area have the same cover at least, which is very unlikely (many don't vaccinate here). I vaccinate every other year but give lepto every year as it only lasts one year. Anything less than yearly vaccinations may affect your insurance cover, so it's up to you. I feel my dog shouldn't get these diseases so it won't affect the insurance.

I was told the 3 year regime is only safe on the assumption all other dogs in your area have the same cover at least, which is very unlikely (many don't vaccinate here). I vaccinate every other year but give lepto every year as it only lasts one year. Anything less than yearly vaccinations may affect your insurance cover, so it's up to you. I feel my dog shouldn't get these diseases so it won't affect the insurance.
Sorry I'm a bit confused :confused: I'm getting Ruby done yearly not 3 yearly,this will be her first lot of jabs after her puppy ones.She had both lots done at the breeders as we didn't get her till she was 12 weeks old.Thanks for all good advice :)

Barbara mentioned her vet gives vaccines every 3 years and I just wanted to post the advice I was given.

Barbara mentioned her vet gives vaccines every 3 years and I just wanted to post the advice I was given.
I see what you mean now (y) Thanks for your advice,you're very good to me and always seem to answer (even my daftest questions!) I really appreciate it :)

I've read for some time that people on Dogpages have vets who only vaccinate every three years. However, until now, my old retired vet, followed by this new practice, still recommended every year because , although it was accepted that certain ones last for three years (indeed when I first had dogs in 1973, the regime was every 18 months to 2 years), lepto needs doing annually and we are an area with high incidence of parvo . The old veet said that, because of the way the vaccines were packaged , ie in two bottles containing a combination, it was not possible to give just the necessary annuals. The present one, who is very up to date on things and is very willing to explain things, says that he has only recently changed because the pharmaceutical company he uses, has now given hits approval, so he was erring on the safe side, incase of repercussions.

He also explained that lepto is not a disease which is passed from dog to dog , like distemper, but is caught on an individual basis from rats. He added that titres can't be used to test all, either (I think he meant lepto), because to test immunity, you have to use live vaccine, so not really a good idea.

My dogs will get an annnual vaccine, but only the full set every three years, from now on.

Back