• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby's surgery

smrj

Hi,

My name is Michelle and this is my first post on this board. My beautiful 2.5 year old cav Ruby is scheduled for decompression surgery this Wednesday :(. I have read all the wonderful information on this board and on the Yahoo support board (where I have posted before). If anyone has been through this horrific ordeal and has any advice for me going into the surgery, I would love to hear it. I keep telling myself I am doing the best thing for Ruby so that she has a longer, less painful life, but I am an emotional wreck.

Thanks for any support you can offer!
Michelle

My advice would be to follow your doctor's post-op instructions precisely. Resist the temptation to let Ruby out of a crate early or allow too much activity until allowed.

Other than that, have faith and be patient. It's really hard seeing them come out of surgery. But, they do recover. Good luck and best wishes! And, please create a new thread so we can follow along, including symptoms and diagnosis. I think threads like that are helpful to others that will face this in the future.

Hi Michelle--welcome to the Board. You've come to the right place for information on SM. I'm so sorry Ruby is having to go through decompression surgery, but it's great of you to give her what she needs to have a good life.(y)

If you search through the SM forum on this board, you'll find a few different stories of those whose pups have been diagnosed. One very successful story is that of Bianca (NatalieandMike - member name).

Anway, remember to "breath" and know that you're doing a wonderful thing for Ruby.

Please do post pictures of her and update us on her surgery. It'll be helpful to everyone here and will hopefully be an outlet for you.:)

All the best to you and Ruby. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Best of luck to you Michelle and to Ruby. I've heard so many great outcome stories and am praying you will be able to add yours to them. Glad you've found a couple of places for support.

Back