• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

just curious...

estertje

What tricks do your doggies know?

Sam (2years) knows 'sit', 'down', 'drop it', 'come here', 'wave', 'bark', 'roll over', 'to your crate', 'ignore it', 'get down', 'get up', 'shut up' and knows how to give his paw, but he's trained in french, so it's a bit hard to translate :) Hope it's clear!

Gini (6 months) only knows 'sit', 'get down/up', 'come here' and 'in your crate'

Curious to hear from you guys!!

Ruby (2 yo) knows "come", "sit", "down" (these three she can do without seeing me when I call from another room), "leave it", "get up", "roll over", "give paw (in russian)", "crawl", "go to sleep (she gets off our bed and goes to her own bed, works only at night :) )", "eat", "where is mommy/daddy? (her response is to give kisses)" and "give me kisses", "bring me the ball" and more specifically, "right here (pointing at your feet). When playing fetch she also obeys "wait" and will not run after the ball until you release her and "find the ball" sends her on a hunting expedition if she lost sight of it.

Are we talking about MEN.Oh no sorry,anyway Alfs can Speak on command.Spit It Out,and when a load the pistle,aim and fire the gun he will go down Dead for me.Clever boy.

Cleo can do the following:

Sit
Get down - as in off things
leave it
talk
cuddle
Paw - for right front paw
Other Paw - for left front paw (or the other way around if she forgets! :) )
kiss
Go to bed
Get in your basket
come - but only when she wants to or when a whistle is blown and we are out.

Things she understands (kind of) but doesn't do unless there's a treat involved
lie down - but only for a split second
stay

I really wish I could get her to do these last two things but she absolutely refuses to do either. When you say stay she sit really excitedly and sort of shuffles around on the spot on her bum. We're looking into obedience classes as I'd like these sorted I feel it is very important.

Last edited:
Tybalt is 16 weeks old and so far just knows 'sit' 'crate time' and 'come here'. He will lie down most times when we tell him, but we think this is because he just likes to lay down, anywhere and not because it's a command:rotfl:

Merlin can do sit, down, off, stay, stand, heel, give me five, high five, can count to 50 with his paws, kisses, weave, and shoot the dog :), he can balance a treat on his nose , so we are learning how to flick it up to catch!

Oakley can do sit, down, off, stay, heel (ish), high five, and kisses - he is a bit slow at learning tricks - he'd rather be off chewing a chewy stick.....:rolleyes:

Lucie is 2 yrs old....she does
*sit
*down (lie down)
*paw
*high5 (giving a paw at a higher height)
*crawl (crawl along floor in a down position)
*bed (goes to her crate)

Have been trying sit/stay and leave but nothing works with her!
When i try sit/stay she just wants to be at my side. Am still trying to get her to do the leave command but i dont really hold much hope for it!
I try to repeat her training commands at least twice a day.
When Lucie is off lead and there are no birds around or water she does come back....but she is just so easily distracted.:bang:

Cedar:
-Vocal commands: Stay, outside, come, watch me, sit, down, roll over, heel, front, finish left, finish right, kennel, up, drink, potty, drop it, find toy, wait, other side (when going to the car, to let her know to go around), over there (when she lost sight of her fetch toy).

-Hand signal: stay, sit, down, over there

Willow:
-Vocal commands:Stay, outside, come, watch me, sit, down, heel, kennel, up, drink, potty, and wait

Holly:
-Vocal commands: Stay, come, watch me, sit, down, heel, front, finish right, kennel, up, drink, potty, wait, other side (when going to the car, to let her know to go around), jump, tunnel, table, box, go tunnel/jump/box/table, and weave (if I have a treat :S)

Hand signals: sit, down, stay, jump

Oh my! Can anyone offer any tips on training? I have a new puppy and would love to teach her many new tricks. When is it "too young" to start training?
Thank you-

Oh my! Can anyone offer any tips on training? I have a new puppy and would love to teach her many new tricks. When is it "too young" to start training?
Thank you-

It's never too young to start with basic obedience. Look into a nearby training classes; they are the best way to learn and socialize!

I live in a small town and no one offers classes- I would have to drive to a larger town 2 hrs away. I do want to start on her early because I think they learn faster as puppies- as do children :eek:)

I agree never too young to start training just keep it short. Maybe check out a book at the library or watch some youtube videos.

Maverick knows...

vocal commands: sit, down (lay down), stay, touch (he jumps up and touches his nose to my hand), front, finish, come, roll over, get your ball (this is for fetch and flyball), watch me, drop it, leave it, heel, off (means 4 feet on the ground weather one the sofa or jumping up on someone), go nite nite (go to kennel), wait, go potty, in your seat (sit in the backseat so I can seatbelt you in), and we're working on speak

hand signs: sit, down, stay, front, finish

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting.

I live in a small town and no one offers classes- I would have to drive to a larger town 2 hrs away. I do want to start on her early because I think they learn faster as puppies- as do children :eek:)

You don't need classes to train your pup!! I train both my dogs at home and it goes very well! Just give the command while he is doing what you want him to (if he doesn't do it right away you can help, great tips in books also, I'd go visit my library if I were you) and give him a treat. How sooner you start the better, they learn the fastest when they're young, but it doesn't mean you can't train an older dog!!

Well, I have some great new ideas now, thx everyone!
Isn't it amazing how much they actually can understand?!

Merlinsmum, how do you learn you dog to count to 50? Really curious!!

Merlinsmum, how do you learn you dog to count to 50? Really curious!!
Its easy! Its just like teaching paw and then with the "tone" and the game it just works......

I never taught Merlin to give paw I taught him to "Give me 5" (I wanted to pass on a trick that came from the bestest golden retriever in the world who wen too soon...... his trick "Gi me 5 Mags!" so we got "Gi me 5 Merls!").... then it was "gi me 10" but pointing to the opposite foot.....

I'm sure he could count higher but after 50 you get a look of disgust:rolleyes:

Back