• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Cavalier owner (4 yr old Cav)

RubyTuesday

It has been two weeks and I am a proud owner of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Her name is Ruby and she is 4 years old. She is such a sweet dog but I'm having her groomed in 4 days and kind of nervous what to expect/ask for. Also she tends to have "gifts" for me in the morning sometimes and I'm not sure how to house train a 4 year old dog. Also, she doesn't like toys....i don't know if thats normal... kind of sad for me actually, I loved to play with squeak toys with my other dog.
n1192651962_30820301_9058.jpg

Ruby's first night at her new home in her new bed.

Ruby is really beautiful. :lotsaluv: Regarding the house training, use the same principles that you would with a puppy. If you do a search here there are lots of threads on the issue and I'm sure more experienced people will chime in with specific advice. icon_welcome to the board. Looking forward to hearing all about Ruby as she settles into your family.

Double take. At first glance she is exactly like my Izzy, who died last year, but he was a boy.

Like Izzy, she doesn't appear to have a messy or thick coat, so I wouldn't have her trimmed at all, unless she has tangles or your weather is hot.

Izzy never liked plastic toys, prefering fluffy ones like Critters (a flufy ball with a tail) and multicoloured balls, rings frisbees with a squeaker inside. He didn't play, but carried his prizes about and took them to bed. His and my other dogs' idea of play is to retrieve, when anything, which brings a reward , is game.

Last edited:
Hi and WELCOME icon_welcome
She is beautiful!:lotsaluv:

I get Lucie groomed...I have the underside of her ears shaved(to prevent matts and from the outside she still has long ears) and trim inbetween her pads on feet!!! But nothing else comes off.Other than that she gets a good wash every 4-6 weeks or so.

she has only TANGLED tail... i mean.. WOW.. i tried sitting down once and slowly try to work it out, that didnt even work. and some of her top body fur is tangled, but shes so gorgeous. and thanks for the furry tail toy idea, ill try it out today and see if she like it. I already KNOW she loves to attempt to chase squirrels, so it probably will work.

I think the Critters are a US produced toy. they were very common here, for the last few years and a must for all cavaliers (people were having them mailed into areas where they couldn't buy them.)

Hi and welcome from us too
She's a beautiful girl and she looks so cosy in her new little bed :lotsaluv:

THATS THE NAME OF THE TOY! Well.. ive been looking for it .. but im not finding it anywhere, but then again the only place i know to buy dog stuff is Petsmart... so I probably see if there is other stores.
Im taking Ruby to a professional groomer tomorrow morning to get properly cut and everything.

Also ive been noticing a LOT of people who own a Cavalier King Charles are in England and Ireland.

100_0868.jpg

I was cleaning my closet and this toy(won it at an arcade.. well won 8 of them) fell and she has been playing with it ever since.

Last edited:
She is so adorable. I used the clicker method to train my Dixie and it worked really well.....Dixie loves the soft toys with tails too. I tie a rope around the neck and pull it like a squirrel running, and she goes crazy chasing it thinking it IS a squirrel.....

Welcome! Ruby is beautiful! :luv: I don't think I'd get her trimmed too much, except for the mats. The groomer should be able to work those out without cutting too much.
There's lots of USA owners here too! (y)

Hi there! I noticed you live in Overland Park. I live in Hutchinson, so not too far. Ruby is beautiful! We have a 13 week old named Holly.

Ruby looks so sweet and she is just lovely!! A good groomer should be able to gently remove the tangled area hopefully without taking too much of her coat. If they do have to shave some of the bad areas, it will grow back.

She looks so content in her new forever home! :luv:

This is a photo of a critter toy, made buy Happy Dog products, Arizona . They came originally in 'natural ' colours but then went to favourite yellow, bright green , shocking pink and orange two -tones. They were in two sizes: just nice to hold or big and good to drag along.
http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Dog-Toys-Critter-Skunk/dp/B00005YU0T

They were once easy to get, but Pets at Home, over here, stopped stocking them and I've only soincd eseen them at dog shows, where they were overpriced. I can only find one US site that appears to have them, now.

Back