Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Average amount of food you feed your dog a day thread!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Average amount of food you feed your dog a day thread!!

Hi guys! I was just curious as to how much everyone feeds their cavi's daily.. So if we could make a list of how much total for the day, spread between how many meals, and what brand of food used. Oh and age and possibly weight of dog if you know.

I'll start..

6lbs, 9 weeks
    3/4 cup total
    3 meals a day
    Science diet and natural life mixed
    both puppy formulas

Post Thanks / Like

Default i wondered this too

i give one cup in morning and leave it for her to pick at during the day, by night time its all gone. and also just started to give a james wellbeloved biscuit when shes in her basket at night.

Post Thanks / Like

I feed raw. My two get 2-3% of their ideal weight in raw meat each day.
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalRuby View Post
    i give one cup in morning and leave it for her to pick at during the day, by night time its all gone. and also just started to give a james wellbeloved biscuit when shes in her basket at night.
    It is best, to maintain pack order in the house, that the dog isnt left to pick at their food throughout the day. If you go by the 15 min rule (put it down, give them 15 mins to eat, then remove, whether finished or not) then that should not only allow you to control their actual feeding times and allow more of a routine, but will also put you as being the provider of food... the 'top dog', so to speak.
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

Lucie is 2 yrs old
    Feed James Wellbeloved (different flavours)
    Feed 65 grams twice a day.
    She weighs 9kilos.

As treats she has....
    dentastix (for teeth) 1 a day.(or every2 days if I forget)
    2 omega-3 markie biscuits...one morning one evening.
    some nature menus chicken treats for training.
    Also she gets 1 great white ear but that can last a month or so.
    The odd low fat chicken strip maybe 3 times a week.

Plenty water.

I wil be following this thread....i always worry i mayb giving too much or too little!
    Leesa
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Lucie (Blenhiem) 8th Feb 2006
    Sasha(blk n tan) 19th May 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asto86 View Post
    Hi guys! I was just curious as to how much everyone feeds their cavi's daily.. So if we could make a list of how much total for the day, spread between how many meals, and what brand of food used. Oh and age and possibly weight of dog if you know.

I'll start..

6lbs, 9 weeks
    3/4 cup total
    3 meals a day
    Science diet and natural life mixed
    both puppy formulas

I have a pack of cavaliers-- ages range from 8 years down to almost 7 months. They all now eat twice a day. They get fed individually (or I'd have two HUGE cavaliers and the rest would be skin and bone). They eat 1/4-1/2 cup twice-- so 1/2 to a cup each day. For diversity, I give a bit of raw, satin ball or canned evanger or tripe as a food topper in the am-- they get a bit of cottage cheese, yogurt or vegies in the pm.

jmo-- there are much better foods than science diet-- reading the bag gives me the willies.
    Canidae, wellness, evo, blue buffalo, merrick just to name a few. I stopped feeding timberwolf when I opened a new bag and half my dogs refused to eat it (VERY ODD). IF you go on their website- they have noted that this has happened to a few lots of their food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven View Post
    I have a pack of cavaliers-- ages range from 8 years down to almost 7 months. They all now eat twice a day. They get fed individually (or I'd have two HUGE cavaliers and the rest would be skin and bone). They eat 1/4-1/2 cup twice-- so 1/2 to a cup each day. For diversity, I give a bit of raw, satin ball or canned evanger or tripe as a food topper in the am-- they get a bit of cottage cheese, yogurt or vegies in the pm.

jmo-- there are much better foods than science diet-- reading the bag gives me the willies.
    Canidae, wellness, evo, blue buffalo, merrick just to name a few. I stopped feeding timberwolf when I opened a new bag and half my dogs refused to eat it (VERY ODD). IF you go on their website- they have noted that this has happened to a few lots of their food.
    ya I hear ya on the ingredients to the science diet ingredients.. i bought that before i was sure about how to read labels, lol. BUT the breeder was feeding royal canine, and the science diet small bites stuff looks identicle (haha prolly is).. and the transition was easy on brodie. from the science diet i'm transitioning brodie into the natural life, which has a much better ingredients label.. but, the bites are bigger for him too and he's still not comfortable with that.

i like how you give alot of diversity! i need to look into raw, dairy, and veggies a lil more i suppose.

keep it goin guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Dakota eats Innova dog food. She has 1/2 cup for breakfast and a 1/4 cup for dinner. When we rescued her the vet said she could gain 3lbs. to make her at 16lbs. Prior to the recommended weight gain, she was having 1/4 cup for breakfast and dinner. She may be going to 1/3 cup for breakfast. We'll have to wait and see.

I should add, the vet said to increase her intake during the summer with all of our activity and cut back in the winter when we are not as active. Just a thought to share.

Post Thanks / Like

Dottie, 15.1 lbs
    1/2 cup Primal raw in morning, 1/4 to 1/2 cup evening (depending on treats given during day.)
    Treats: green beans, carrot sticks, teeny greenie, Canidae biscuit, dehydrated sweet potato.

(All above treats not given everyday, just a variety of the above in very limited portions each day, throughout the week.)

2 brisk walks a day, once in the morning, and once before bedtime. (Otherwise, she just eats and sleeps like an old man all day.)
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Jato is 7 months, and weighs 13 pounds.
    I feed him Canidae 2 times a day - 1/4 to 1/2 cup each time. It depends because sometimes he doesn't want to eat in the morning.
    For a snack I give him an Old Mother Hubbard bisuit. He loves the peanut butter ones. I also use cheerios to train him.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008