• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Average amount of food you feed your dog a day thread!!

asto86

Hi guys! I was just curious as to how much everyone feeds their cavi's daily.. So if we could make a list of how much total for the day, spread between how many meals, and what brand of food used. Oh and age and possibly weight of dog if you know.

I'll start..

6lbs, 9 weeks
3/4 cup total
3 meals a day
Science diet and natural life mixed
both puppy formulas

i wondered this too

i give one cup in morning and leave it for her to pick at during the day, by night time its all gone. and also just started to give a james wellbeloved biscuit when shes in her basket at night.

i give one cup in morning and leave it for her to pick at during the day, by night time its all gone. and also just started to give a james wellbeloved biscuit when shes in her basket at night.

It is best, to maintain pack order in the house, that the dog isnt left to pick at their food throughout the day. If you go by the 15 min rule (put it down, give them 15 mins to eat, then remove, whether finished or not) then that should not only allow you to control their actual feeding times and allow more of a routine, but will also put you as being the provider of food... the 'top dog', so to speak. ;)

Lucie is 2 yrs old
Feed James Wellbeloved (different flavours)
Feed 65 grams twice a day.
She weighs 9kilos.

As treats she has....
dentastix (for teeth) 1 a day.(or every2 days if I forget)
2 omega-3 markie biscuits...one morning one evening.
some nature menus chicken treats for training.
Also she gets 1 great white ear but that can last a month or so.
The odd low fat chicken strip maybe 3 times a week.

Plenty water.

I wil be following this thread....i always worry i mayb giving too much or too little!(y)

Hi guys! I was just curious as to how much everyone feeds their cavi's daily.. So if we could make a list of how much total for the day, spread between how many meals, and what brand of food used. Oh and age and possibly weight of dog if you know.

I'll start..

6lbs, 9 weeks
3/4 cup total
3 meals a day
Science diet and natural life mixed
both puppy formulas

I have a pack of cavaliers-- ages range from 8 years down to almost 7 months. They all now eat twice a day. They get fed individually (or I'd have two HUGE cavaliers and the rest would be skin and bone). They eat 1/4-1/2 cup twice-- so 1/2 to a cup each day. For diversity, I give a bit of raw, satin ball or canned evanger or tripe as a food topper in the am-- they get a bit of cottage cheese, yogurt or vegies in the pm.

jmo-- there are much better foods than science diet-- reading the bag gives me the willies.
Canidae, wellness, evo, blue buffalo, merrick just to name a few. I stopped feeding timberwolf when I opened a new bag and half my dogs refused to eat it (VERY ODD). IF you go on their website- they have noted that this has happened to a few lots of their food.

I have a pack of cavaliers-- ages range from 8 years down to almost 7 months. They all now eat twice a day. They get fed individually (or I'd have two HUGE cavaliers and the rest would be skin and bone). They eat 1/4-1/2 cup twice-- so 1/2 to a cup each day. For diversity, I give a bit of raw, satin ball or canned evanger or tripe as a food topper in the am-- they get a bit of cottage cheese, yogurt or vegies in the pm.

jmo-- there are much better foods than science diet-- reading the bag gives me the willies.
Canidae, wellness, evo, blue buffalo, merrick just to name a few. I stopped feeding timberwolf when I opened a new bag and half my dogs refused to eat it (VERY ODD). IF you go on their website- they have noted that this has happened to a few lots of their food.

ya I hear ya on the ingredients to the science diet ingredients.. i bought that before i was sure about how to read labels, lol. BUT the breeder was feeding royal canine, and the science diet small bites stuff looks identicle (haha prolly is).. and the transition was easy on brodie. from the science diet i'm transitioning brodie into the natural life, which has a much better ingredients label.. but, the bites are bigger for him too and he's still not comfortable with that.

i like how you give alot of diversity! i need to look into raw, dairy, and veggies a lil more i suppose.

keep it goin guys!

Dakota eats Innova dog food. She has 1/2 cup for breakfast and a 1/4 cup for dinner. When we rescued her the vet said she could gain 3lbs. to make her at 16lbs. Prior to the recommended weight gain, she was having 1/4 cup for breakfast and dinner. She may be going to 1/3 cup for breakfast. We'll have to wait and see.

I should add, the vet said to increase her intake during the summer with all of our activity and cut back in the winter when we are not as active. Just a thought to share.

Dottie, 15.1 lbs
1/2 cup Primal raw in morning, 1/4 to 1/2 cup evening (depending on treats given during day.)
Treats: green beans, carrot sticks, teeny greenie, Canidae biscuit, dehydrated sweet potato.

(All above treats not given everyday, just a variety of the above in very limited portions each day, throughout the week.)

2 brisk walks a day, once in the morning, and once before bedtime. (Otherwise, she just eats and sleeps like an old man all day.:rolleyes:)

Jato is 7 months, and weighs 13 pounds.
I feed him Canidae 2 times a day - 1/4 to 1/2 cup each time. It depends because sometimes he doesn't want to eat in the morning.
For a snack I give him an Old Mother Hubbard bisuit. He loves the peanut butter ones. I also use cheerios to train him.

12kg, 10 years old diabetic
100g a day spit into two meals, 12 hours apart
Burns high oats mixed with pro biotic yoghurt
Three times a week the swap evening meal for sardines/pilchards

Treats
Good boy sugar free choc drops
One Schmackos after morning injection
Half a pig’s ear after evening injection

Tybalt weighed in at 13 lbs at his last vet visit.

I feed him 1/2 cup of Castor and Pollux dry puppy kibble mixed with half a can of Castor and Pollux wet puppy food in the morning. He only gets wet canned food in the morning. Tybalt and the cat would BOTH eat this mixture, sitting side by side eating. I've learned to spoon a small amount of the wet food on the side for just Romeo, as I don't want him eating the dry kibble. It probably won't hurt him any, but his cat food has taurine in it, which he needs as a cat. I don't want him to get used to Tybalts food.

Around noon he will get about an oz or so of Natural Balance lamb formula food roll. Since he is on medicine, I use this to hide his pills in.

Then around 5, he eats his supper, a half cup of Castor and Pollux dry kibble and for a little treat afterwards, I will either give him a little of the Natural Balance food roll or a natural balance sweet potato and venison dog treat.

He will occasionally chew on his dental bone after dinner. I guess he likes the minty taste :)

Chloe is 9 weeks old. :)
I'm not with her just yet, but mom tells me she is slowly switching her to Merrick like I wanted and gets 1/4 cup 3 times a day. :D

Ollie is now 11 mos & 17 pounds, he eats Orijen adult mix twice a day 1/2 c in the morning and evening, although I think I will be cutting it back a bit soon as he doesn't seem as interested to eat in the am as he used to.

Casey is 5 yrs, 25 pounds, and eats the same food, 1/4 c in the morning and evening. She is on a diet and has lost 7 pounds so far! It's a long process but so worth the effort- she now leads the pack on walks instead of lagging behind. She has about another 3 pounds to lose.

As for treats, they really don't get many, but I do stuff kongs with a little kibble, some 100% liver treats, and dehydrated chicked about 2-3x a week. I feed them a little less the next morning to make up for it. I will also give them frozen broccoli florets or a carrot stick every now and again.

Ruby (2yo) is big for a Cavalier (she is Irish). She was about 21.5-22 lbs and our vet said that that's her ideal weight. We fed her 3/4 cup dry food + a fork-full of soft Eukanuba low residue (she has a sensitive tummy) twice a day. However, after she injured her shoulder during play time and vet recommended we keep her slightly underweight for her size at 20-21 lbs. Now we feed her 1/2 cup dry and fork-full soft food twice a day. She looks a bit skinny and acts like she's been starved for years, but her shoulder healed up very nicely and she has much easier time jumping off high furniture.

Maggie will be two years on July 8 (happy b-day little miss priss!)
She's 13 lbs
She is fed Now! Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal or Grain Free dry food (Canadian brand)
1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 in evening
She gets Now! treats occasionally during the day (they are tiny morsels) along with a couple carrot sticks or green beans (which she loves)

Just on Tybalt -- hard to know the case for individuals especially when you can't see them :), but this sounds like a large amount of food even for an adult -- is he getting half a large tin, or a small tin? Even at a small tin, he is eating at my conservative estimate, just over 1.5 cups of food daily plus treats on top of that, or if half a large can, over two cups of food. It does sound like he is a pretty big puppy anyway if he is 13lbs and was born in March (not sure if that is right but guessing from your sig?). But most puppies and indeed adult dogs would not eat more than about a cup of food a day. Most puppies will only eat what they should eat but some are gluttons and must be tightly controlled. If he is really oversized -- then this amount may be right for his size and growth -- but you might want to check those amounts with your vet. (y)

On my group:

Jaspar: 16.5-17 lbs, eats 3/4ths cup of food daily
Leo, 15.5lbs, eats 2/3rds to 3/4ths cup daily
Lily, 12.5 lbs, eats 1/3rd- 1/2 cup of food
Lucy, 13 lbs, east 1/3- 1/2 cup food

What they eat: varies all the time. Homecooked stews, leftover soups, sardines and kibble, kibble and salmon oil with various extras, sometimes raw necks or wings (in pieces), sometimes cooked beef or chicken mixed with kibble. Kibble: generally rotate between James Wellbeloeved and Royal Canin. Currently eating their way through a bag of JWB fish flavour.

All get a fair amount of exercise -- 3-4 walks daily.

Various treats: fruit, veg, dried meat treats, dried fish treats, greenies, etc.

Just on Tybalt -- hard to know the case for individuals especially when you can't see them :), but this sounds like a large amount of food even for an adult -- is he getting half a large tin, or a small tin? Even at a small tin, he is eating at my conservative estimate, just over 1.5 cups of food daily plus treats on top of that, or if half a large can, over two cups of food. It does sound like he is a pretty big puppy anyway if he is 13lbs and was born in March (not sure if that is right but guessing from your sig?). But most puppies and indeed adult dogs would not eat more than about a cup of food a day. Most puppies will only eat what they should eat but some are gluttons and must be tightly controlled. If he is really oversized -- then this amount may be right for his size and growth -- but you might want to check those amounts with your vet. (y)

On my group:

Jaspar: 16.5-17 lbs, eats 3/4ths cup of food daily
Leo, 15.5lbs, eats 2/3rds to 3/4ths cup daily
Lily, 12.5 lbs, eats 1/3rd- 1/2 cup of food
Lucy, 13 lbs, east 1/3- 1/2 cup food

What they eat: varies all the time. Homecooked stews, leftover soups, sardines and kibble, kibble and salmon oil with various extras, sometimes raw necks or wings (in pieces), sometimes cooked beef or chicken mixed with kibble. Kibble: generally rotate between James Wellbeloeved and Royal Canin. Currently eating their way through a bag of JWB fish flavour.

All get a fair amount of exercise -- 3-4 walks daily.

Various treats: fruit, veg, dried meat treats, dried fish treats, greenies, etc.

Tybalt doesn't eat all the food, the cat helps him out a great deal and Tybalt has learned to stop eating when he has had enough to eat. :). It does sound like a lot of food, but he probably eats less than a cup a day. He gets a ton of exercise in daily walks and romps in the backyard, not to mention the chasing and playing with the cat inside. And he doesn't usually get treats everyday, but it's been my means of sneaking him his antibiotics this last week. His mom and dad were both on the larger size for cavaliers, but nothing exceedingly over.

Maverick is almost a year and a half and weights about or almost 16lbs and normally eats 3/4 cup of nutro mini bites lamb and rice and loves it. He gets for treats zukes training treats, charlie bears, buddy bits, and dehydrated sweet potatoes. He also gets a cows ear and that takes him a long time to munch on.

Also have been wondering about this..

Veda is close to two years old and eats a half a cup for breakfast and a half a cup for dinner and weighs around 22 lbs and acts starving after being put on her diet.

Piper is almost a year old and eats about 1/3 cup for breakfast and about a 1/3 cup for dinner and weighs around 11 pounds.

Back