Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking like our puppy has SM

Post Thanks / Like

I`m so sorry you are going through this, but there is still some hope I have a cavalier with EFS, she is now four years old and is still doing well, you can PM me if you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi Lynne,thanks for your reply.I'm pleased to hear your Cavalier is doing well.Our Vet started Georgies Medication this morning ,he's just had one episode today,just after a thunderstorm!Thanks again,i 'd like to keep in touch,I'll feel better when I've read up more and know what we're dealing with.Take care,Ginnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes she's still breeding these pups !!

Hi Karlin,I have the Three Generation Pedigree Certificate with the Kennel club registration certificate.This is what was totaly made up by the woman who didn't actually breed them (though she told me they were hers!),although she now has another litter of Cavalier pups for sale!It was for her "friend"that she made the papers and the Insurance papers up for because she didn't have ANY papaerwork for the two puppies.I have the name for the Breeder,she's on the Internet,but when I tried to contact her I was told she would be away for another 2 weeks.I do know for a fact she's still breeding puppies.
    Take care,Ginnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, you need to report the breeder and the friend to the kennel club and the RSPCA. It is illegal to sell puppies falsely claiming they have pedigrees and especially to issue KC papers.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've already contacted the Kennel Club,they explained that all they could do was to send letters saying they were aware of what had happened,but,that if they just wanted to throw the letters in the bin,there was nothing the Kennel Club could do!Apparently theres no legal obligation they take all the information they're given on trust.They did say however,that if we wanted to take it further ie:To the Trade Descriptions,that they would provide a letter along with confirmation from my vet.It's all such a mess and bless him we just want Georgie to feel better.
    We're due to go away next week on a surprise 60th Birthday that our daughters arranged for me.The host family that are looling after Georgie for 2 weeks are fully aware of the situation and in touch with our vet ,but obviously he's going to be on our minds all the time but fortunately the family know all about Cavaliers and have years of experience with them.Thanks agin for the support,take care,Ginnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would certainly pursue it.

I would also really try to get your vet to directly contact a neurologist for advice on treatment for your cavalier. Surely that are willing to try some medication -- if a dog is having multiple seizures and falling over constantly the dog really needs serious help. I'd also completely stop walking Georgie and do not let the foster family walk him as this is seemingy bringing on some of the problems. No deliberate playing or anything that brings on the seizures.

It can take weeks to get an appointment with a neurologist so I'd ask your vet to please start to set this up now for your return, as you may not be able to get in for several weeks as it is. If you wait til you get back it may be two months before you can get in.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karlin on not walking your dog, nearly all Amber`s episodes have been after she had been walked, she is now limited to playing out in the garden. she is not on any medication and only has the episodes now when over excited or stressed, the way to limit the episodes is too find what triggers them, as in Amber`s case walks and try and remove the source of the trigger. hope that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Looking Like our Puppy Has SM

Could I go off in a different direction about the pedigrees .
    How will Researchers ever be able to do Genetic Research if there are Falsified Pedigrees around .
    Will the only answer be ,as I have been told ,that Dr S Blott at the Animal Health Trust ,who is Researching into SM and MVD in Cavaliers ,will be taking Cheek Swabs ,so asto verify the Pedigrees.

Bet Hargreaves

Post Thanks / Like

We've stopped Georgies walks,as you can imagine he's not happy about thatbut is content to roam the garden.Our Vet is contacting a Neurologist to arrange some tests,whilst we're away,so when we get back we can get things moving.It's ironic I'm due to go for an MRI etc on the 25th,it's a pity we can't both be done at the same time!!At the moment he's having a "time out" hour in his cage and seems quite content with that and the seizures are not getting anymore frequent,so thats good.
    That sounds like a good idea about the mouth swabs!Take care,Ginnie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great Ginnie, you are doing all the right things to manage him and will be ready for a proper investigation of what is going on when you get back.
    Karlin