Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very, very sick from Ivermectin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frecklesmom, thanks for that helpful additional info. Definitely something to make sure our vets know about.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

So glad Tybalt is feeling better!! I think this is why it's so important to be aware of any changes in your dog when giving a medicine they've not had before. Some dogs will have reactions. Jake can't take Tramadol....he gets really weirded out by it. Shelby is fine with it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you had such a scare - well done on picking up on things so quickly, and getting him to the vet - I'm sure that has helped him recover so quickly.

You have exactly the right attitude - sadly there are always side effects with medications, and sometimes it just does'nt suit the dog - something to be aware of. Your posts are really helpful and may help others, so it's much appreciated that you have shared this informaion.

Glad to hear that the wee man is doing ok now, and I hope that you manage to get the mites cured too.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that Tybalt is feeling better. It is good that you acted quickly when he had such an adverse reaction to the Ivermectin. We use it in an injectable form in treating mange on raccoons and it is very effective, and so far no visible side effects have been noted there.

Does the vet know how he picked up the mites and how you can prevent further infestations?
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hbmama View Post
    I am glad that Tybalt is feeling better. It is good that you acted quickly when he had such an adverse reaction to the Ivermectin. We use it in an injectable form in treating mange on raccoons and it is very effective, and so far no visible side effects have been noted there.

Does the vet know how he picked up the mites and how you can prevent further infestations?
    Most every dog gets this mite (demodex mite) from their mother during the early days of puppyhood. It is not communicable and most puppies are able to suppress the mites with their immune systems and never see a flare up. In fact, a lot of people have similar mites on them, especially in places such as the eyelashes Because Tybalt is both in a new home and going through some puppy changes with hormones, the stress from this probably caused this onset, but once it's gotten rid off, should not make a return.

It's not very worrisome in puppies, but in adult dogs it can become a very serious problem. Some vets prefer to ride out the mite outbreak without medicines, but mine doesn't. Secondary infections from constant scratching and biting can lead to a host of other things which can turn serious for a dog quickly.

I can see that the Ivermectin is helping, his skin is far less red and it appears his hair is growing back, but this mite has a 3 week life cycle, so he has to keep taking medicine for the full course of the infestation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Goodness how frightening but good on you for your keen observation & quick action. You will have to check out the ingredients on some other products now too as I think HeartGuard has Ivermectin in it.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Tybalts dosage has been cut in half now for three days and he seems to be doing much, much, much better at this dosage. 1/10cc every day instead of 2/10cc. I hope he can continue to keep this up because the lapse the three days off Ivermectin caused it to flare back up and it's spread a bit up his neck.

Just six more weeks on this. The life cycle of a mite is around 21 days, but since he has been off and the mites spread a bit, we want to make sure this cycle is gone and any other cycle that may have spawned from it. So three weeks for the first round and then another three to make sure if any spawned, we kill those off too.

Keep your crossed we get these nasty little things wiped out!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I know this thread is dated now, but I wanted to add that my (ex) mother in law had a beautiful puppy about 10 years ago who had developed the puppy mange and was given ivermectin for it. The pup was about 16 weeks old and was not one of the collie breeds that are sensitive to ivermectin, however, the puppy was dead in 3 days from the meds. The lethargy is a definite bad sign, and scarily, there is no antidote for it except to induce vomiting if you accidentally overdose and catch it before it absorbs.\

BTW, I hope Tybalt is much better now!