• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pixie's Mommie has Pics! and a question about breeders

brotymo

Hi everyone. It is still hard missing Pixie after her accident. We miss her every day, but time is helping us to remember her with smiles and laughter. It will never feel "okay" losing her the way it happened, but as far as that problem goes, there is nothing to do for it.
I wanted to share my photos with you all.
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/album.php?albumid=57
I also want to clarify that the transmitter you see on her collar in some of the pics is not a shock or bark collar. It is a transmitter to open her Powerpet automatic pet door. I'd never put a shocker on her!
Also, we are all certain we want to welcome another cavalier into our home when we find the right one. We want to begin looking.
Now that I have learned more about the breed, I don't know that I feel comfortable returning to the breeder who supplied us with Pixie. I now see that he is in it for $.
I am in North Georgia, near Chattanooga, TN. If any of you could provide me with some contacts, I'd appreciate it soooo much. I don't mind a drive of a few hours. Any cavalier who comes into my home gets very loved. My children are ages 9-13, so none young enough to be a danger to a small dog. I work out of the home, so they are seldom alone, and when I must leave (and can't take the dog along), we have other dogs. Our back yard is fenced and is nearly an acre, and for our cav, we have a small automatic pet door to allow them access whenever they want to come in or out. (to the chagrin of the big dogs...but to have them running in and out at whim would be too much!) Pixie slept with us every night and had soooo much love, and that is guaranteed to any other new furry member of the family. A breeder can feel happy sending a puppy to us!
Unfortunately, I can't adopt an adult rescue. I'd love to have that option, but my malamute mix doesn't like other adult dogs. I know this from fostering some rescues. I had to stop taking any mature dogs after she tried to kill them. She loves puppies and mothers them like her own, and when they grow up here, they are accepted as part of her "pack". I don't want to have to keep a divided house, or have something awful happen.
Thanks for reading. Stop by my pics and hug your cavaliers today!

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics. :)

On getting a new puppy: while it can be useful to get some recommendations, I would not advise simply using those to find a breeder. Be sure with any recommendations, you also follow the detailed suggestions in the Library section on finding a breeder and what to look out for. Also contact the CKCSC and ACKCSC for registered club breeders. You want a responsible show breeder who breeds for health and can prove it with the appropriate certificates. You do not want to rely on what their website may say. I'd also advise asking about whether they MRI breeding dogs for syringomyelia and read up on this condition and why MRIs are believed to be important in making breeding decisions.

Good luck in your search for a puppy. (y)

Thanks for sharing your lovely pics. :)

Good luck in your search for a puppy. (y)

Thanks and I do appreciate the advise. I am much more careful this time around in my search since learning so much more about the breed. The scary, heartbreaking health problems of the breed are something I want to avoid and not help to proliferate by buying from an irresponsible breeder.

I have spent a great deal of time reading the helpful sections of this forum, and they have been a valuable resource.

I appreciate the tips from more experienced owners of the breed and I am so glad I found this forum. So many nice folks on here!

i just wanna say that pixie is so cute and i know that u are missing her but that u are very brave getting another dog!!

The pictures are delightful-think I could look at the ones with the collie for hours :) good luck with your breeder search, be patient.

I just loved looking at those pictures Pixie. She was so much a part of your family. Do as Karlin suggested. Start with the ACKCSC and CKCSC lists of breeders. I'm hoping some people in your area will pm you with some personal recommendations.

Those pictures are a real tribute to a sweet little dog. I loved "I come in peace" the best. Bless her...

Thanks for sharing her adorable pictures. I especially like the one with her in the pink sweater and purple flowers! Good luck in your search.

Those pictures were wonderful.

Pixie was truly loved and such a special and important member of your family. That all comes through so clearly in those pictures. :lotsaluv: I think my favorite is the one of her kissing your daughter ... soooo sweet.

Good luck in your search for a breeder. :xfngr:

Those pictures are a real tribute to a sweet little dog. I loved "I come in peace" the best. Bless her...
Yes, it was sooo sweet the day all the pack met Pixie. She just wanted to be "in" the crowd so bad! She loved to be close to them and she rolled over and flattened herself out. I was glad I had the camera!

Back