• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about goats milk.

Claire L

I bought a bottle of it and wondered if it is ok to give the girlies a small drop each day? It only has a short shelf life.

Rupert used to have goats milk as a puppy, but there really is no need for an adult dog to have milk - many are intolerant of milk and it could cause diarrhoea.

I think one of your girls has issues with some foods anyway Clare, so I personally would avoid changing diets or adding anything new anyway. Stick with what you know they are ok eating :D

Goat's milk is less likely to cause diarrhea (than cow's), and should be fine in small amounts if your dog does NOT have a sensitive tummy.

But the point is really that dogs do not need milk, and goat's milk is a totally alien substance to a dog's diet with no special value -- there's simply no reason to give it. Breeders use it for puppies to avoid diarrhea rather than cow's milk, but once weaned, they really do not need milk (some like to give yoghurt -- but again, dairy products are one of the five most common causes of food allergy and food intolerance in dogs). If a dog has been known to have dietary problems, it is really best to maintain a bland diet known to work for the dog. (y) Or check with your vet first before introducing milk.

Info on food problems:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=17749

Back