Thread: Canidae has changed recipe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Canidae has changed recipe

I just thought I'd pass this info. on to those of you that feed Canidae. I opened a brand new bag and gave Jato his normal amount for dinner last night- and WOW did it make him sick. Poor little guy is all bummed out today with soft stools too. I went to the shop where I purchase his food, and they told me Canidae informed them that they have switched their formula/recipe. That makes me . I am switching to Wellness after doing much research. Anyone else feed this to their Cavaliers?
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like

You can find the new formula here - http://canidae.com/new-formulas.html

I haven't bought any of the new yet. They say to mix the old with the new until they get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It may just be coincidence as well that he had a funny tummy. Also for some dogs, sudden food changes may make them a bit ill. This is more likely to happen with dogs that are always fed the same thing. Generally a lot of nutritionists say to rotate foods by bag (eg when one finishes) as no one food is ever perfect -- and it is boring for the dog to eat the same thing in and out. I always supplement dry food too as it is a pretty bland diet.

If you have a bag of Canidae now, I'd certainly not waste it. Maybe try it again at a later point?

Dog food manufacturers do regularly change the composition of foods slightly so it isn't too unusual. Most dogs should have no problem with minor alterations. They are omnivores and should be able to eat a wide range of foods. But there could well be some particular thing that disagrees.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately we have never had any problem rotating quality kibble, meats, treats, etc. Dottie's system takes it all in stride. After being on a mix of different high quality kibbles, (including Canidae) we decided to try frozen prepared raw by "Primal." I just switched her all at once, and again, firm stool, happy puppy, happy tummy.

My friends Cav can eat anything and rotates foods also without incident. I guess some dogs are just very sensitive, but I think it is more of an exception rather than the rule, depending on the dog.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

I'm feeding Charlie Canidae too. He's such a picky eater, but when he does eat he seems to be okay. I also started mixing in a about a teaspoon of Merrick BG (before grain) 100% chicken. He ate it for a few days and now he's back to his old habits of me begging him to eat. He's so picky! He'll eat if I hand feed him, stubborn little dog!

But try mixing his food with another brand? Have you tried Natural Balance? My sister gives this to his dog and I've had Charlie try it too and he seems to like it too.

Good luck... let us know how he does.
    Sandy (me) Charlie (Blenheim - born 7/1/07) Lucy (Tri-Color - born - 9/15/08 )

Post Thanks / Like

As of Sunday afternoon I have switched him to Wellness Super 5 Mix-Complete Health. I did alot of research, and this really seems to be a great food. Jato loves it. I have started him off slowly, only 1/4 cup 3x a day. His stools are a bit soft, but I think that is to be expected given the Canidae upset and now the new food.
    Don't worry, I didn't throw out the new bag of Canidae...I am going to donate it to the local animal shelter along with some bowls that I bought before I brought him home as a puppy- they are too big and deep for his ears. Live and learn.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know this but funny thing is, my daughter noticed the kibble in the new bag is a bit smaller.