• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: reasons to neuter your dogs!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/730117?UserKey=0

This would be top of my book -- I know of several situations in which dogs were stolen and then seem to have been dumped when the thieves discovered they were neutered and could not be sold on to a puppy farm or similar vile situation.

If you have neutered your dogs, I strongly advise chipping as well and having a tag on their collar which clearly states the dog is chipped and neutered and that there's a reward for the dog's return. I have this on every one of my dogs. The combination makes it very unlikely thieves would ever want to keep the dogs and lets them know from the start what the situation is. (y)

Hi
My little ruby girl Rosie who is 1 on the 21st has an appointment at my vets this Friday to be spayed ,and talking to my wife this morning and thinking back to how upsetting for us all when Poppy and Daisy were spayed we almost faltered and cancelled ,but after reading all the posts again of course we realise she must be spayed for essentially her well being not ours. So i will be dropping her off at 8.30 am and then pester them on the phone from 10.00 am onwards to ensure she is OK but no doubt the vets will tell me to go away till 3.00 ,i did find on the web a cushioned soft inflatable head collar which looks a lot better than those cardboard conical things and i am well stocked up on my doggy medicine chest but if there is anything else i could possibly need to help make her a bit more comfy for the first couple of days pls advise .Thanks.

Brian, the hint I got from this board is to put a baby onesie on Dixie when I had her spayed a month ago. It was so soft and comfy, and I must say she looked adorable in it. It worked great!!! She was never able to get to her stitches and she was very comfortable. It was also easy to get on and off. And, you can just roll it up to her neck when she needs to go potty. I ended up getting her a 36 mo. As was suggested to me, measure your dog from neck to tail and then go to the store and find one that will work. Good Luck.. Dixie had absolutely no problems being spayed, and now you cannot even see her incision...

Hi Jld

Thanks for your kind reply and pls forgive my ignorance but i haven't a clue what a baby onesie is ,but guessing (even though been a dad 4 X over ) is it like a new born babies one piece suit ?.Thanks :confused:

You are correct. It is a one-piece body suit that has snaps at the bottom and snaps on the shoulder. You put the dog's front legs through the arm holes and then I put her tail through the bottom and snapped the two end snaps and not the middle one. Her tail fit right through the opening between the two other snaps. When they go out to potty, you can either take it off, or unsnap it at the bottom and roll it up to her neck. It really did work great.....The tricky part is to get the right size. I ended up taking back a couple because they weren't long enough for her. She is pretty long, I think. Let me know if you have any other questions. It will make more sense if you get one and put it on Rosie. Judy PS She was 15 mo. when she was spayed. So, she was full-grown.

Last edited:
Hi
just a few more points re Rosies spay on Friday ,i found a company named Noahs Arch Essences and ordered two items one called Post Surgery Recovery Essence and other Shock and Trauma essence with the hope that they may help Rosie in her recovery does anybody know these products or the company and what is your opinion any good or a waste of time and money.Thanks

Good luck Brian. Lady goes in on Fri am for spaying. She turned 6 months yesterday. I have bought the babygrows in size 3-6 months and just tried it on her. It seemed to fit ok. Maybe a wee bit small but I am afraid the 6-12 month size would be too gaping and would then allow her to get at her stitches. Whoever thought of the idea is a genius. We have an Old English Sheepdog and when we got him neutered he came home with a gigantic lampshade on which hit into all our furniture and actually chipped paint off our walls in the house. Saying that I can't imagine that there are baby grows that would fit a 100 pound dog :jump:

Good luck Brian. Lady goes in on Fri am for spaying also. She turned 6 months yesterday. I have bought the babygrows in size 3-6 months and just tried it on her. It seemed to fit ok. Maybe a wee bit small but I am afraid the 6-12 month size would be too gaping and would then allow her to get at her stitches. Whoever thought of the idea is a genius. We have an Old English Sheepdog and when we got him neutered he came home with a gigantic lampshade on which hit into all our furniture and actually chipped paint off our walls in the house. Saying that I can't imagine that there are baby grows that would fit a 100 pound dog :jump:

I have never heard of those products, but I can only speak from my own experience. Her vet gave her antibiotics and pain medication to take for a week and other than that, and the onesie, that is all we did except try to keep her from wrestling, playing and jumping on the furniture. Really she did just fine. She was a little sleepy the first day and maybe a little the second, but after that she seemed her little self.....Whenever I had to leave, I just made sure she was in the kitchen with her bed and nothing she could jump onm or not with our other dogs. Rosie will be fine...Good Luck. You will be glad when it is over. Judy

Dottie is going in for her spay tomorrow morning...(Thurs the 10th.) I am going to go buy her onesie while she is at the vet. She is just under 16lbs, so what size do you think I should get????

I am really nervous about this whole thing but very glad we are getting it done. I am so happy we won't ever have to go through another season of solitary confinement and hormones running amok!!!

Marianne, Dixie weighed 13 lbs. when she was spayed. She is pretty long, so I got her a 36 mo. but I am sure it also depends on the brand you are buying. Maybe she would need a 24 or 36 mo. You might have to get a couple of different sizes and take back what doesn't work. Good Luck. I was worried about Dixie, but she did just fine. Judy

Hi
Just popped out from work and got two baby vests so will do a try on tonight ,couldn't get pink so unfortunately its the colour of my football team Everton blue ,so if they fit will try and take a pic and if they don't i can sneak out of work tomorrow or call into Asda later.But i must say thanks its a great idea.:dogwlk:

Brian, what size did you end up getting? I got Lady 3 to 6 months. It is a tiny bit small but the next size up was gaping and I was afraid she would be able to get at her stitches. I got a set of 3 in various pinks from Primark for £2 for the lot.

Hi
I messed up the two onesies i got they wont go any-ware near her fortunately Dawn is popping over to see all the new shops in Liverpool's brand new huge One centre that cost over a billion pound for Liverpool's Capital of Culture Year so being a woman and having a lot more common sense than me regarding baby grows she will get me 2 or 3 for when i pick Rosie up.
Now all i have to do is take her to the vets at 8.20 am then worry like mad all day ,its going to be along and horrible day so best thoughts for Rosie pls oh i am getting uptight now and poor Rosie doesn't whats coming, help and thanks pls,i am such a big wimp at times like this why cant i suffer instead of her its so unfair they don't know what to expect she will be so frightened .:eek:

Hi
I messed up the two onesies i got they wont go any-ware near her fortunately Dawn is popping over to see all the new shops in Liverpool's brand new huge One centre that cost over a billion pound for Liverpool's Capital of Culture Year so being a woman and having a lot more common sense than me regarding baby grows she will get me 2 or 3 for when i pick Rosie up.
Now all i have to do is take her to the vets at 8.20 am then worry like mad all day ,its going to be along and horrible day so best thoughts for Rosie pls oh i am getting uptight now and poor Rosie doesn't whats coming, help and thanks pls,i am such a big wimp at times like this why cant i suffer instead of her its so unfair they don't know what to expect she will be so frightened .:eek:
I know how you feel Brian. I am going to be a nervous wreck at work all day tomorrow. We just got two bunnies and one of them died in its hutch yesterday for no apparent reason so my son is quite traumatised and is very nervous about Lady going under the knife tomorrow. Good luck for tomorrow. Our girls' will be fine and anyway it is for the best in the long run. I am going to have to keep reminding myself that tomorrow. Will be logging on tomorrow night to see how Rosie is.

Hi
Well its 2.30 pm and all is fine ,i dropped poor Rosie off at 8.30 am and the vet nurse applied a pre-med and told me she would be first up and to phone at 1.30 pm ,so of course i phone at 10.00 am and she was out shes been spayed and she also had (which i knew ) a little hernia repaired which they popped back so all seems OK .The 2 baby grows i got were size 0-6 months so it shows how much i know , and as i said prior Dawn was in Liverpool clothes shopping this morning so she got me a pack of 3 from M&S size 12-18 months ,as i work locally in Birkenhead i picked her up from the train station at 12 pm after she had finished shopping and run her home so i popped into the vets to see if i could collect Rosie but the vet said no she was still woozy and they just want to keep an eye on her so call back at 4.30 pm ,so Ive got some nice chicken breast just to tempt her a bit when we get home. So the day has been long and hard to concentrate at work buts its all over ,and i think when i take her back in 7 days for her stitch's and a check up i will take Poppy as well ,as Karlin was indicating that the amount of food i give her and that shes not really losing much weight could be a thyroid problem so i will let Mr Shepherd have a look and a think as its a bit disconcerting as i would like her lighter for herself ,most people think shes Daisy and Rosie's mum ,poor Pops would be a bit disappointed if she knew. Will post another update on Rosie when shes safely home been fed and popped into her onesie.Many thanks again to all.

Best Wishes and Kindest Regards

Brian and all :flwr:

Hi
Sorry to be back so soon but a question pls , how long before i can take Rosie back to have her stitches out.? :confused:

Tks
Brian

glad everything went well brian lady is ok too.not great actually. whining a lot and she wont sit still. they didnt give us any painkillers home which they really should have as she is really suffering.im sure she will be ok tomorrow. the whinig is getting worse and i think the vet is closed now. sorry about all lower case letters but she is lying on my arm. brian the vet told us to come back in ten days to get stitches out. help i have a very distressed little girl here.

Back