• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: reasons to neuter your dogs!

Many of not most vets don't give take-home painkillers after spay/neuter -- mine never do -- because they give them a painkiller injection at the time of the surgery. I've never had any dogs that were distressed after a neuter.

If you truly feel she is in distress then call an emergency vet as there could be a problem. This however is very rare. If you are fussing over her when she is whining then she may whine solely to solicit the extra attention so try and be sure this is not maybe encouraging her to behave this way? If you are in any doubt then call an on-call vet. (y)

Brian on stitches -- just give your vets a call in the morning. Usually it is 10 days but some use dissolving stitches -- however will still want to see the dog in about that time to check that the wound has nicely healed.

Brian, glad little Rosie is okay. Dottie is doing fine, and she also had a small umbilical hernia fixed along with her spay. She fit right into her onesie. We bought the 6-9 month size and it is perfect for her. She is just under 16 lbs. She was a little sleepy and so we just skipped dinner last night and just had some small sips of water before bedtime.

I ended up taking her out on lead several times through the night so she could wee,and then back to bed.

She is just fine today and just relaxing and not acting as if she has any discomfort at all. I am of course carefully lifting her up and down so she doesn't try to jump on or off the furniture. It is a big relief have it over and done with. Hopefully Rosie will be up and feeling well soon!

Oh, I just read about Lady. Hope she is doing better today also!! Please keep us posted!

Re the pain meds, our vet sent us home with one 50mg pill of Tramadol, which had been quartered. He said that if she shows any discomfort that we could give her a quarter pill every 12 hours. So far we haven't needed it at all. She is happy and not having any noticeable problems thank goodness!

Hi
Picked Rosie up at 5.30 pm she walked out of the vets closed area to me so i carefully collected her up and gently popped her into her crate on the back seat of the car .Sorry just noticed the double post just as i am typing Daisy strolls over the keyboard and produced the other post not me ,sorry. Nicola my vet was the same no pain killers they said the tranquilizer helps control any pain for up to 48 hours , i made an appointment for 6.15 pm next Friday for Poppys weight problem so they can check her overall and if need be check her thyroid as Karlin suggested so i ll take Rosie so the vet can see her as well and mybe take her stiches out. So tonight so far gave them their tea for Rosie it was chicken and tuna and a few Burns biscuits and Poppy and Daisy as normal but some chicken as an extra ,then Luke and i took Pops and Daisy out on the Wirral Way for their walk though it was a bit breezy while Rosie stayed at home in her crate dozing and tonight i popped her into a baby grow and i definately think thats a cracking idea .I put up right by my bedside the fabric crate she used on hols (for one night till they all piled on my bed for the week ,it took Daisy five minutes to work out how to unzip her crate then she was out and on the bed so i gave in and we had a spare double bedroom in our holiday cottage so i slept in there with the girls so Dawn and Luke had peace and quiet in their own bedrooms all good fun though and trust it to be the ringleader Daisy) so Rosie is curled up asleep and she is staying right by my bed till her stitches come out.(y)

Hi

A few recent pics and am glad all is fine with Lady and Dottie,Rosie curled up in her fabric crate by my bed

on hols in nothumberland Our Rosie

Poppy does she look overweight Rosie on Luke while Daisy
moochs

Hi just wondering how Dottie and Rosie are today? Lady is much better (thank goodness). I think she's a bit constipated so am keeping an eye on that. Have reunited her with Charlie and she is much happier. They are asleep together in the cage at the moment. Brian how old is Rosie? She is much bigger than Lady who is just turned 6 months. Hope they're both doing well!

Hi Nicola
Rosie slept alongside me in her fabric crate so each time i heard movement i dangled my hand in and calmed her down, we were all up at 4.20 pm i carried Rosie out to the grden for a wee then let the other two out then we all went back to bed ,not that we then slept and unfortunately Dawn decided she may as well get up so it was a long night but thankfully Rosie is a lot perkier today but she is still sleeping a lot wont do any harm though .Rosie came to us from a lady breeder in Doncaster who is also a Cavalier show judge and breeder as well of Charlies we got her end Sept last year and she is One on the 19 th of this month ,she weighs 6.8 kilo and from the nape of her neck along her back to her tail she is 18" long and on top of her head she has a few tufts of hair that make her look as though shes had a blond tint.

Rosie in the local park then terrible Daisy and Pops on her back and Rosie

My two rescue pussycats Tammi aged about 10 we have had for 9 yrs and the grand old lady Ami aged about 15 yrs and been with us longer than our Luke approx 14 yrs.

ah well that explains it. She certainly is beautiful as are daisy and pops!!! I have plans once Lady and Charlie are older to hopefully add a tricolour and a ruby to our family....my hubbie doesn't know of these plans yet though :D Glad to hear Rosie is doing well.

Hi

Poor Rosies still not a happy little girl hows dottie and lady , i cant unfortunately see her having her stitches out Friday but as Pops is going anyway i will take Rosie for a check over. :(

Thanks

Brian

Aw Brian I am sorry to hear that little Rosie is still not back to normal but I am sure she will be soon....it is MAJOR surgery after all. Lady had a really bad first night to the point where I was concerned but now she's back to normal racing around the yard after Charlie. Her stitches and scar look like they are healing wonderfully. Have you checked her stitches and scar? If so what do they look like? I think all dogs are different when it comes to surgery. We had an absolutely horrendous time with our Old English Sheepdog. His scar got infected and he had to take THREE courses of antibiotics before it healed. My hubbie and I actually had to take time off work to be with him. He is good as new now though. I think, similarly with people, each dog is unique and recovery times will vary from dog to dog. Our vet wants us to wait until the Monday to get her stitches out which will be 10 days. I am happy about that as after one of my C-sections I got my stitches out and the whole wound burst open and I had to be put under AGAIN to have wound repaired and layers of stitches in the muscles underneath which are now there permanently. I was therfore very pleased that Lady's stitches will stay in for the 10 days. (sorry probably a case of too much information there lol)! I do hope gorgeous Rosie is back to normal soon! :flwr:

Hi
Due to the UK public employees strike today Luke had no training so we took all three on their favorite walk on the Wirral Way along the beach then up and back through the sandhills ,the intention was to have Poppy and Daisy free and Rosie on a long lead but once there the imploring set me free looks from Rosie and she was soon off chasing Poppy and hanging off her ear when caught ,so at long last my worries are fading slightly.Her appetite is perfect again though i might have trouble weaning her off her fresh chicken breast and tuna back to dry food ,veg and a spoonful of wet food ,but i shall still keep her by me in the bedroom till she has her stitches out ,which she was just washing then yelped jumped up and turned full circle , maybe she just pulled one. Before she rolled on her back for her tum to be tickled so i had a good look ,there are twelve stitches in all they seem clean and the surrounding skin is pink so all seems Ok but i ll be more than glad when they are all gone .Pops has just discovered that in the lounge we have a CO2 detector that blinks a green light once a minute so now she will just sit down stare at then when it blinks green barks like mad ,don't our cavaliers bark at strange things.

Sounds like Lady and Rosie are getting along okay now. Glad to hear that! We have been fortunate that Dottie is doing well and doesn't mind wearing her onesies at all. It is a bit of a pain for me though, as I have to unsnap her and take her into the yard on a lead to do her potty business.

She is doggie door trained and loves to run in an out into our back yard, chase butterflies, annoy the neighbors cat sitting on the wall and hide in the bushes along the fence line. All of that has been put on hold for the past week, much to her dismay.

Our vet said to bring her back in for a check of her stitches 7 days from the operation, and the scar looks to be healing fine. I just think the stitches need to stay in a few more days but we will see what he says when he sees her.

Glad it is over with!! Brian, Dottie was born on the 17th of July and will be one so Rosie is almost the same age! Her breeder wanted us to have her go through one season before spaying and so that is why we waited this long.

Things will hopefully be back to normal in a few days, onesies off, stitches out and free again to run and play in the garden!! :p

Back