Thread: Update on Ruby post surgery

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Update on Ruby post surgery

Hello everyone! First of all, thank you so much for your thoughts and encouragement during all of this! I really appreciate it! I got Ruby at around 5:00 this afternoon, and her doctor said the surgery went very well and that he expected a really good outcome. He said that once she was sedated, he could move her kneecap almost all the way around her leg....so, on that note, I am VERY glad we decided to go ahead and do this now instead of waiting on her to get even worse. Her other knee as of right now is very tight, so let's pray that it stays that way. She of course looks pretty pitiful and is still groggy from everything (of course, I've already given her pain medicine, so that has added to her sedated state). She got up and hobbled around about 15 minutes after getting home and proceeded to pee a HUGE puddle on my rug. Gotta let her slide on that one, but just this once! Other than that, she's been doing pretty well. She's on 2 pain medicines....one of which is an anti-inflammatory and the other a doggie narcotic. She's also on antibiotics, which we'll start tomorrow. We'll see how everything goes tonight because I've been warned that the first 48 hours are the worst. I'll probably end up sleeping on the couch tonight and put her on her big pillow bed since I'm not wanting her to bump her leg getting in and out of her crate, and I also don't want her sleeping with us and one of us potentially hurting her. Thanks again for all of the recovery ideas and encouragement!!
    Jessica, mom to Ruby, 1 yr. old blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

So glad she's home and the surgery went well. You're right....the first few days are the roughest but you will quickly fall into a whole new routine. Hope everything progresses along nicely.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great that she is out and home -- you must be relieved and please. It is so nerve-wracking when they are having surgery for anything. We have lots of experience on the board here from people with dogs that have had this surgery so I am sure you will gets lots of support and advice if needed as she recovers.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad she is home safe and that the op went well 0 we have been thinking of you both.

It does sound a relief that you went ahead - it would not have tightened up and could have caused considerable problems in the future.

Make sure you keep her confined so that she can't run or jump, and give her frequent comfort breaks outside - you will need to forgive any accidents for now, as she might not be able to communicate to you that she needs out.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I'm glad Ruby is home and seems to be doing well!!! I'm sure you'll be absolutely amazed at how she bounces back when this is all said and done Did they give you an ice pack for the swelling? I think that helped us quite a bit
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Just let me know if need anything. Love that puppy. Molly goes on Monday for hopefully her "all clear". The time really does pass quickly.

Thanks to Charlene for helping me. !
    Mom to Molly. Who I absolutely love.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, bless her little heart. She (and you) have been through so much. Now she is on the road to recovery. So glad she is doing okay!
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Well, last night could not have gone better. I gave her pain medication before we went to bed. We carried her upstairs and put her on a pillow beside the bed to sleep. An hour or so later, she hobbled around to my hubby's side of the bed and whined to get up there with us. He put her between us, and she (and we) slept great. She's been lying around alot today on the couch with me, but that's only because I'm making her do it. She acts as though nothing happened (well, except for the limping)! She FINALLY drank some water at around 1 today and has just picked at her food. Pottying has gotten much better, but we're having to time it when no other dogs are out so as not to excite her. The only thing that's a little off is her poop, which is pretty runny from I'm sure all of the medications and stress. Thanks again to you all for supporting us during this! She's doing great!
    Jessica, mom to Ruby, 1 yr. old blenheim