Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Results of decompression surgery

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping Ruby quiet is a little easier for me because she is my only dog. If I had other dogs, I'm sure I would have to crate her. Ruby's has never been a jumper, she never jumps on furniture, and rarely jumps off the bed. She has always wanted to be picked up to go on/off furniture, which in hindsight might be attributed to the SM. But for now, when I have to go out, I am just gating her in the kitchen. Was Riley on prednisone following surgery? If so, was she panting a lot? Ruby has been panting an awful lot (especially at night) and her doctor thinks it's from the prednisone, which makes them thirsty. I feel so bad that I give her water and then she needs to go out all night. Just wondered if you had this with Riley.

All our best,
    Michelle & Ruby

Post Thanks / Like

Riley was on prednisone for at least two weeks following surgery. I seem to recall that she panted more than normal. She certainly drank more and peed a lot when she was out, but didn't seem to have to go out more. She would drink a lot right before bed, but then slept quietly through the night. Regarding Ruby wanting to be picked up to go on furniture: Riley is doing that now also. She was never the best jumper - I'm sure due to the SM, but she could usually make it onto the couch. Now, though because I have been putting her on the couch, my bed, etc since surgery, she just stops and waits for me to do it. It is so sweet. I hope Ruby's personality has come through the surgery. Riley has always been the sweetest of my four - always wanting to please and just being all round pleasant. After I took her fentanyl patch off, Riley came back to her old sweet, loving self. How old is Ruby, and what were her symptoms pre-operatively? Does she seem better yet? Good luck,
    Bev

Post Thanks / Like

Riley sounds adorable. It's funny she waits for you to put her on the furniture now--Ruby has always been that way! Unfortunately, Ruby is only 10 days post-op, so she is still out of it and very quiet. I pray her personality doesn't change because she is the sweetest girl (aren't they all?). It's so interesting you mentioned that because one of my biggest fears going into the surgery was that she would never be the same again personality-wise. Ruby will be 3 this Wednesday--not a very happy birthday for her and her main symptom was air scratching quite often. She would also occasionally yelp when being picked up and she would do a lot of smushing her face into the rug or grass. I keep telling myself that I have done the right thing for her, but it is so hard sometimes to stay positive with the long recovery process.

Please keep us updated on Riley's journey. We'll be thinking of you. Best of luck!! Michelle