Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: UK Dog poisoning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default UK Dog poisoning

    Marked increase in dog poisoning from home items
    Learning new things everyday

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries


    That's well worth reading -- 17,000 cases of dog and cat poisoning in the UK last year!!

    Dog poisoning cases up by almost 50 per cent
    By Jasper Copping and Graham Mole
    Last updated: 7:14 PM BST 12/07/2008
    Dogs that have swallowed chocolate, grapes and raisins are fuelling a huge rise in pet poisoning cases.

    The number of dogs falling ill after eating chocolate soared by 48 per cent last year to 1,166, according to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.

    Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant found in the cocoa bean, which affects the central nervous system as well as the heart muscle and can kill a dog.

    The service, which advises vets, has also seen an increase of 91 per cent in dogs becoming sick after eating grapes, raisins or sultanas.

    Toxins from the fruit can cause renal failure in the animals. In some cases, small dogs have died after eating as few as four grapes.

    The problem has only been recognised in recent years and the number of cases reported to the service rose from 117 to 224.

    Vets believe many owners are unaware of the dangers and have fed their pets food such as cake and biscuits containing chocolate or grapes as treats, while in other cases the animals have helped themselves.

    "There has been a huge increase in the number of inquiries about chocolate poisoning," said Alexander Campbell of VPIS. "It often tends to be scavenging-type dogs, like labradors and Jack Russells, that find them about the house and are attracted to the smell."

    A total of 17,000 cases of poisoned cats and dogs were reported last year – up 20 per cent on the previous 12 months. The figures show there has been a steep rise in the number of dogs ingesting painkillers such as ibuprofen (22 per cent), paracetamol (20 per cent) and aspirin (24 per cent). Vets believe the animals sometimes find the drugs lying around the house, but that in many cases, they are deliberately given the pills by their owners when they are injured, as it is cheaper than taking them to a vet.

    There was a similar increase in the number of dogs treated after eating oral contraceptive tablets – the sixth most common cause of canine poisoning. Most of the cases reported to the VPIS related to dogs, with cats second.

    The most common cases of poisoning among cats involve animals that are treated using a type of flea treatment meant for dogs.

    The number of calls to the VPIS – part of a toxicology unit at London's Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital – showed an increase in poisoned rabbits because of the growing trend for owners to keep the pets indoors.

    Chris Laurence, veterinary director of the Dogs Trust, said: "Dogs' habits don't change much and nor do people's. Dogs eat what they can and people will still eat chocolate, grapes and raisins and will still leave them around, while some will still feed them to their dogs.

    "I wonder if people are a little bit more careless these days about leaving things lying around and with costs going up, are willing to try to give their pets their own pills."

    Most common dog toxins

    Rat poison 1,283 cases in 2007

    Chocolate 1,166

    Ibuprofen 710

    Paracetamol 414

    Oral contraceptives 334

    Grapes, raisins and sultanas 224

    Slug bait 190

    Carprofen – an anti-inflammatory drug for dogs which can produce adverse reactions. 188

    Diclofenac – used to treat arthritis in humans. 155

    Snake bites 153

    Story from Telegraph News:
    Cavaliers: Tansy : Mindy Connie Roxy Neasa Gus
    In memory: My beautiful Jaspar Lucy Leo Lily Libby

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Post Thanks / Like


    I was watching Animals Cops Houston and its known there as well,people seem to be doing this to dogs that constantly bark in a neighbourhoods.They seem to take it quite seriously there.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Post Thanks / Like


    My sister's next door neighbour poisoned Molly the rescue cavalier with rat poison while I was on holidays and she's not even a barker....
    Luckily the vet lived nearby and was able to save her although it was touch and go for 24 hours.Poor pet was haemorraging blood from both ends.
    Some people are just vile, and of course impossible to prove...
    Happily she's made a full recovery.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts