• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Explosive diarhea! Help....

inoubliable

One of the puppies had an accident yesterday afternoon but seemed fine afterwards and so we put it down to maybe nerves because my sister and her family were here and the kids were really rowdy. This morning early he couldn't hold it and had some more runny stool in his crate. And just now we heard a noise, looked over and it's all over the crate, outside the crate and in the food bowl. I haven't changed their diet. I'm waiting to hear back from a vet. Any ideas?

Get a stool sample in to your vet - you can even get enough of a sample from runny diarrhea. My ruby had explosive, watery diarrhea when she was a pup. Ended up to be some type of parasites -sorry, I can't remember what type. Took a while to clear it up. Flagyl didn't help. My breeder recommended putting her on canned pumpin mixed with some baby food chicken along with some Chinese herbs. Don't now if that did the trick or if it was the third medication we tried, or a combination of all, but she cleared up 2 days after giving her the herbs and has been fine since then (she's 4 now). But get a stool sample in.
Bev

Have you tried giving some probiotics? I found them very good whe I got Sparky as he had constant diohroa!

Definitely a case for the vet! Especially in a puppy.Let us know how the little patient is and hopefully it'll be a speedy recovery.
Sins

update on the vet visit

hurley had an 'episode' right in the foyer of the office. the assistant showed it to the vet because now it was bloody. :eek: so he rushed us in and they did some sort of fecal matter test and they said he had some parasite (something beginning with a 'c') and so he gave us Albon tablets, and Metronidazole. he gave it to both of them because both dogs had a temp, even though noodles wasn't having any issues at the moment.
poor puppies. the vet said that it was a naturally occurring parasite but it might have gotten out of whack because of all the changes going on in their lives since we got them, and all the visitors, new experiences, etc. so he said to put them in the same crate, since they could comfort each other, and put them in a room away from any commotion and just give them plenty of water and the pills and keep them calm. he also said no walks for a few days, just out to potty and back in again. i feel so bad for them. it's so apparent that they feel horrible. hubby is out of town for a week, so he feels bad that he can't be here to love on them, too.
the nurse said i could add some supplements and such to their food, but she wasn't sure what to recommend, and the vet doesn't believe in it. any idea what she's talking about? probiotics someone said?? :confused:
anyway, thanks everyone for chiming in and keeping the poor things in your thoughts. i'll tell you, these dogs are certainly the excitement in our life! ;)

Ahhh poor babies - hope they'll be better soon xxxx

Sparky didn't have a paracite or anything, but his diohrea was probably to do with change of situation plus he didn't seem to be agreeing with the dry food the breeder & vet gave me!

I have him on prebiotics which helped from abaout day 2 of giving them - I still give him a small dose of them now & he's on a really good diet (naturediet)

these are the prebiotics I get
http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Animals_Pets.html
(the one I use now is called bio premium granules - but to start with I used the pro-kalin)
- but I think you can ger similar from health food stores.

Coccidia:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=727
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

Once you get it-- you have it for life. The meds don't kill it, they just bring it under control by slowing the reproduction. Any time the dog gets its immune system out of whack- be on the look out for it.
I keep antibiotics on hand, the faster you jump on this overgrowth, the easier it is to get healthy again-- flagyl also known as metronidisole works fast.

Any time a puppy gets bad diarrhea, it should be taken into the vet to get a check of it's gums etc... They can then decide whether the dog needs IV fluids.

And it is probably bad timing to give probiotics and antibiotics at the same meal. Kinda counterproductive.

Last edited:
If the vet thinks this is stress related, I'd also implement some essential and permanent management for kids' access to both dogs. EG not letting the dogs loose with kids running around; kids sitting on the ground quietly for interactions; no shouting when dogs are around; using a puppy xpen with a crate for the dogs to be kept separate from kids when interactions aren't able to be directly supervised; crates for the dogs to retreat to that are totally off limits at all times for kids.

Try not to fuss a lot over the dogs -- give them a lot of time without someone handling or playing with them.

Some types of coccidia can be a risk for elderly people, ill children etc so you may need to be cautious about exposure. (y)

More info: http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/coccidiosis.html

Here are 3 things I have used with my cavaliers when they have diarrhea:
- Bene-Bac pet gel - I get this from my vet
- Ark Naturals Gentle Digest (contains prebiotics and probiotics)
- Trippetts canned green tripe instead of their regular food

You can get Ben bac from petsmart, petco or (by website) kv vet, jeffers etc..
Nutrical or nutrastat is also beneficial for their after recovery time.

The only time that I panic about diarrhea is when it is coming from a pup or otherwise immune suppressed dog-- or if there is blood. A drop or two isn't bad, but if the whole thing is full of blood, I run to the vet.

I hope they are feeling better.

I came home from work (and a run to Bed Bath and Beyond to get a new dyson) to my Elle who was sick in her crate-- no blood.

Back