• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice on Cat accepting pup

shadowsmom

Hello:

I just added a 6 month old beautiful tri named Shadow to my family. I having trouble getting my cat to accept him. She hides in the closet and has to physically be removed to eat or to do her business. The puppy has shown no signs of aggression towards her whatsoever. I would appreciate any advice to help these two to become friends. I hurts me to see the cat so upset and unhappy.

Cats can have serious problems with having another animal, cat or dog, move into a house.

First let the cat have areas of the house the dog cannot access so it has somewhere else besides the closet to feel safe. You can for example block off part of the house with a babygate. Also I'd recommend getting a cat tree as many cats feel more secure if they can be up high. I would not in any way force the cat to be in the same room with the dog. And I'd order a couple of plug-in Feliway dispensers -- this is a calming, scentless cat hormone used with stressed cats and really helps to calm the cat. You can get them from vets or pet shops or online.

There's a post in the Library section on mixing cats and cavaliers. There are some really good links to advice on that post.

Just keep in mind that they may never be friends. It may be that they will tolerate each other and the cat will grow less stressed. Cats can take weeks to months to adjust and really it needs time and no pressure. In rare cases the cat can be so stressed that it stops eating etc and then you will have to make a decision -- a cat that refuses to eat can become very ill very fast and it isn't fair for the cat to be forced to live in such a stressful situation. That may mean rehoming your dog or your cat. In fairness it should really be the dog if the cat was the original companion in the home. Most likely it will not come to that. :flwr:

PS -- I would clear the closet and put another covered litter box, plus water and food in there or just near the door, if she is more comfortable in there, for now. I would not force her out. Put the Feliway in the room with the closet and maybe in the general living area too.

We have a cat that took a very long time to adjust to Ollie. At about the 6 month mark, she began to tolerate him and seek him out to play chase. He is high energy and tends to chase her more than she would like to be chased however. I have to grab him and put him in another part of the house when she wants to just "roam free". At other times, she actively seeks Ollie out. I'm still not sure if she likes him, or if she's still just curious but she spends a lot of time on top of the fridge or cabinets.

Hi Trisha:

Thanks for your reply. I especially like that you call your cat "unsociable". So is mine....but, I love her anyway. :p

We've had our puppy in the house for about 5 months now, and the cat still doesn't like him. :( We have the upstairs just for her (by a baby gate) as she usually is up in the bedrooms anyway, and her food and litter box are in the spare bedroom. Once in a while she comes downstairs to hiss at him through the gate. He has never done anything to her- she is just another "unsociable" feline. How old is your cat? Ours is 7, and I don't think she is about to change. My advice would be to just keep them separated until they let you know if they are ready to be pals. Good Luck!

Update

I'm happy to relay that the cat and puppy are co-habitating. The cat has finally come out of the closet and is tolerating Shadow. She lets him know when he is too close, especially when he hits her with his tail as he walks by. :p They are even both sleeping on the bed together. It is not love, but at least she is accepting that he is here to stay. :xfngr:

Thank you to all who responded with the great advice. I think what seemed to work the best was feeding them together. I did end up making the closet off limits to her and bought her a kitty condo as her safe place. And we make a big deal out of it when she decides to honor us with her presence. :winkct:

That's great news! Things are going really well if they will sleep near each other.

I cannot say enough praise for kitty condos/climbing trees especially for anyone with cats and dogs together. I have two in my house and will add a third. The cats all love them, and it gives them safe 'cat space' that the dogs cannot get to (well, except Jaspar, who has been known to climb up and sleep on the cat trees...:rolleyes:).

Thats great they r tolerating each other....thats the first step!

Ive been really lucky.....my cat Cara has accepted another cat (who died from an RTA),a hamster (who dies of old age 3yrs 7 mths),2 rabbits (who were free range in the house at one point) ,Lucie my blenhiem cav and then 3 weeks ago my new blk/tan cav Sasha!:p
She has been a star.:winkct:

I always make 1 on 1 time for each of my pets with me alone. I play games with all of them even the cat and when they r about together and alone.
So no jealousy here.

Continue wot u r doing.....u never no they may end up the best of friends :xfngr:!

When our lab was alive ,we bought a kitten into the house it was a disater,we gave it about a month,the kitten would attack and it clawed ella when ever the dog came in the room,the kitten was scared,we had to give her to a friend in the end.

Back