• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin

Jen

For those with dogs on Gapapentin, how much, how often are you giving it to them?
We've increased Abbey to 100mg/3 day in the past month. It seems to help, so far. She's set to go in for an intial exam next week to see if she's a candidate for the U of M's SM med trial. :xfngr:

Jen, TedBear is on 300mg three times daily. This is the absolute maximum dose.
Going up to 3 times dailyl will probably help, the body processes this drug very quickly so it works better given more frequently.

Good luck with the trial - keep us posted.

I've got Leo on 100mg 3x now too. The body is supposed to process gabapentin in about 8 hours so every 8 hours seems to be better for many dogs.

I give Geordie 100mg every 8 hours, around the clock.

Lately he seems to need a little something more, so I'm going to ask the vet if he can have a small dose of Metacam at night.

We got good news from the U of M SM study this week; Abbey wasn't accepted as a candidate as they felt she wasn't moderate to severe from what they've seen so far. They felt she was responding to her Gabopentin thus far and that they wouldn't necessarily try her on another drug. We discussed the possibility of moving her to another drug if at some point she seems unresponsive to the Gabopentin, but for now we're to just keep her on the protocol she's on--100mg 3/day.

So, good news for us, bad news for the study in that they lost a candidate. But, like they said, it was helpful to see her as it's helpful for them to see all the ranges they can.

Back