• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need a Bit of Help

Rocky and James

Hello everyone,

Well today me and Rocky who is 5 months went to the dog park with a couple of frieneds of mine and his jack russel. now when we get to the dog park theres a few other dogs there and i walk in and let him off lead but all he wants me to do is pick him up. and when other dogs sniff him he gets very scared.

But i wanted to see something so i walked away about 20 metres while my friends held him and then they put him down and he was happy and playing with the other dogs, but as soon as im back hes scared of them and just wants me to pick him up:confused:

And also the breeder that i got him from a week or so ago said that he is a small cavalier is there such thing??

Thanks

How big is he? There is no such thing as a 'small cavalier' as a breed -- no reputable reeder tries to deliberately breed small cavaliers as this can introduce serious health problems (and then the dog is no longer a cavalier under the breed standard, and they tend to not have the correct breed shape etc). But the breed just may mean you have a small cavalier on the breed standard. In Australia anything between 12-18lbs is within breed standard; sometimes dogs are under or over (more typically over) and this is normal too. It is just *deliberately* breeding for this size that is seriously questionable. Any club breeder doing so should be reported to the club for unethical practice.

As for shyness -- getting your dog out and meeting other dogs is a good idea. Just ignore your dog when he begs to be picked up -- unless he is being threatened by other dogs. If yu pick him up every time, you are rewarding the behaviour you don;t want and training him to ask to be picked up.

I'd recommend buying one of Dr Ian Dunbar's excellent manuals on owning and training puppies right away, as this will answer lots of general questions for you! :) You can easily order them online.

Also: how old is your puppy? If you only just got him he probably has not completed his puppy vax series (usually a puppy is between 12-16 weeks before this is done) and if he isn;t two weeks AFTER his last vax, he is NOT protected when he is outside and should never, ever be walked or brought to where other dogs are mixing. This is the age at which they can easily get distemper or parvo and these are usually fatal in puppies. If the dog is older and done with the vax series, then he's fine to visit. (y)

hes 5 months so yes fully vaccinated yes i dont pick him up i just let him go. And well the breeder is registered with the Club near me but his mum was smaller than normal its just that everyone who sees him says hes quite small
P1010079.jpg
P1010082.jpg

He's absolutely adorable!!

Kosmo went to classes when he was around 4-5 months old and seriously, he hid underneath the chair and only wanted to be on my lap for about 6 out of the 8 weeks of the class. I got to the point where I completely started ignoring him while we were in the ring with other dogs as long as everybody was behaving correctly and he eventually snapped out of it. I think having a lot of social stimuli at this time is very very important ;) He's now very very laid back and although he still likes to stay in the same general area as me, he doesn't mind playing or hanging out with other dogs :flwr:

How much does he weigh ? :)

Leia is like that. She doesnt like other dogs and it just takes her a few days to get used to them. When i used to bring her to the park she only stayed right behind my legs and used to try and jump up at me, i just ignored her and she loves running around with the other dogs now. Also my brother has an adorable boxer, when I introduced her to him she was having none of it and used to growl and snap at him even though she was a tenth of the size of him! This is totally out of character for her as she is really very submissive towards people. I would give out to her for this and ignore her when she was trying to get away from him as all he was doing was sniffing her. After about a wek she relaxed and is fine when he is around now. I think some dogs arent as outgoing as others and it takes them a while to get used to new dogs being around them, ignoring them seems to work!!! good luck! (y)

Hi, People say to me ruby is small i take no notice now after looking after pics on this site, what does rocky weigh?

good news every one i wnet to my friends house today and he has a cavoodle who is extremely well behaved and rocky just went off chasing each other around the garden so i was soooo happy. yes i just kept inoring him and slowly slowly hes getting better thank you

Back