Holly is almost 16 weeks old and due for her third, and final, round of puppy vaccinations. Last round my vet did parvo/distemper and I also allowed her to do lepto as there were 3 dogs in my clinic with lepto and others in area clinics. She is due for a boost of all three now. I did lepto seperate from the others as I have read lepto may cause the most problems with reactions. Holly has not had any adverse vaccine reactions so far.
My quandry now is that my vet is strongly urging me to also vaccinate Holly for rabies at 16 weeks (or shortly thereafter). I told her I was not comfortable with this and would prefer waiting until Holly is at least 6 months, if not a year old. The problem is that we have had two reported cases of rabid skunks in my area -- one in the county and just recently one in my town. In one case, an unvaccinated puppy was exposed and is now in quarantine.
I've spoken with my breeder and she would like me to wait until 6 months for rabies, but says she trusts my judgment in this situation. I am very worried with Holly having an adverse reaction to a vaccine, but also want to protect her from any potential health risk.
I would really appreciate any opinions on my situation. Thank you so much!!