• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help - my 14 week old has giardia

lesjoanne

Hi,
Our new pup has just been diagnosed with giardia (via stool specimens). He had loose stools for about 2 weeks, but initially we thought it was moving house and food change, even though we did it gradually. We have started him on panacur and antibiotics, so hopefully things will improve and he can also put weight on!!
Ou biggest worry is our other 7 mth old - do we need to keep them apart? They are still at the play fighting stage of getting to know each other, with lots of mouth action!!
Also, what is the best thing to clean with in the house? I have just had a mad blitz of all toys, bedding etc, and bleached the area they sleep in.
Any advice greatly appreciated.:xfngr:

I think you doing the right thing using disinfectant, I would keep cleaning toys and the area he sleeps regularly, Keeping them separated is hard I would watch your 7 mth old for signs, ask your vet for advice, prevention is better then cure. Wishing you 14 week old a very speedy recovery :xfngr: your 7 mth old will be okay.

It's no fun dealing with diarrhea in a puppy (believe me, I've been there ... Lucky had awful colitis as a puppy ...). He recently had some kinda tummy trouble. Stool tested negative for Giardia, but one thing the vet told me might help you.

She said Giardia can be hard to get rid of and often recurs ... it can be really frustrating but one thing you can do to help prevent a recurrance is giving frequent "butt baths" in addition to the meds. The butt baths help because the Giardia is sticky and will stick around down there and as you probably have figured dogs like to lick themselves. The butt bath helps to keep him clean and prevent them from getting reinfected.

Hope that helps some and the disinfecting is a good idea. Hopefully it'll be all gone soon.

Sorry to hear that your pup is unwell :( I really hope the meds work and he gets better soon.

I agree with Lani; butt baths are really important when dogs have diarrhoea. They reduce the risk of re-infection.

So glad I founf this forum. Thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice. The article recommended was great.
Well he has had his first formed stool this am (first since we have had him). Hooray! :jump:
So hopefully he is on his way. We will do the butt baths as well to make sure the little critters stay away!!

don't forget to wash all bedding frequently, and the article reminded about shoes, so try to use those plastic shoes when outside and wash them frequently.

Back