• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about microchipping

inoubliable

i've searched the forum already and found posts from the UK, but i wanted to know how it worked on this side. :)
the original owner told me today that the dogs had been microchipped but she claimed to have no idea what the numbers were, or who the company was, or even if they were associated with her or the breeder. a tad bit irresponsible? :mad: so anyway, i called the vet and he said there are two major companies that microchip and he will scan them on Friday morning to see what they have. i didn't get a chance to ask how i get the chip registered to me, though. how does that work? it's my understanding that the chip is registered to the breeder or the breeder's vet at first, and then, for a fee, you can request the chip to be registered to you, the owner. will i have to show proof of ownership for this? all i have are some emails back and forth with this woman to show that i do have possession of the dogs and i'm taking care of them and that she did give them up. does anyone know what the fee is to change the information?

Here's the info for Avid.
Change of ownership cost 12 GBP and "If you are unable to obtain the signature of the previous owner, please enclose
a copy of receipt / adoption. In the event that neither is available, PETTRAC will request written verification from the registered keeper. (This may take up to 28 days)"
I'm not sure what other UK options are. Good luck!

Last edited:
Aha! Sorry I missed that. Avid or HomeAgain are the two main chips in the US. I'm not sure how much they cost to update ownership though...but if you google you will find phone numbers for each company. It's probably not more and $10-20.

My pups have HomeAgain chips as I had heard that the Avid chips had a tendency to "travel" away from the injection site. Both can be read by the same 125 kHz scanner.

You won't have any problem and the vet will have the phone numbers and probably brochures. Annie, when checked, had a chip with number but was not registered. The Vet gave me the chip number ( when he scanned it) and an Avid brochure. I called Avid, used my credit card and she was immediately registered to me. Some breeders chip but do not register and that makes it easy as you don't have to change ownership. You'll have to wait and see if your chip was registered. I believe it was 18.50 for lifetime registration.

awesome! thanks so much! the more we invest in these puppies (though well worth it!) the more we get nervous that this woman might want the puppies back at some point, so we want to cover ourselves legally. getting the dog tags and registering the dog with the microchip company is what we've been advised to do. we're also keeping every receipt and getting them neutered next month so they won't do anyone any good as breeders. :)

Back