• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Breeder wants to let me take home puppy at 6-7 weeks... too early?

Sounds like a puppy farm to me. I bet if you asked to see in that barn you wouldn't be impressed with the conditions and shocked at how many they have in there.

How much was the deposit? Have they refused to return the deposite?

"I just can't walk away from this little guy... I feel like he needs me"

I can totally understand feeling that way... and that's exactly what unscrupulous breeders are counting on. The problem is that yes, you may think of it as "saving" this puppy, but in doing so, many others are being doomed to a sad fate of living in a puppy mill. And, many more mill mommas are being condemned to a life of non-stop breeding. Supply and demand. :(

Good luck with your decision... it is a difficult one.

Sounds fishy.....

I would ask to see the inside of the barn. If they refuse, I would ask why. If they don't show you the inside of the barn, I would contact your local animal control/humane society and ask them to investigate. You could be "saving" more than just your own little puppy. Any reputable breeder should have NO problems showing you where the puppies are living.

My two little rescues, Harley and Sapphire came to me as adults. There have been absolutely no problems with bonding! The bigger issue with getting older dogs is socialization with other dogs. Although most dogs socialize well, performance trainers like to get their dogs very young so that they can socialize with all different types and sizes of dogs during critical socialization periods. I personally would rather have my dog, especially a toy dog like Cavaliers stay with their moms as long as needed. My breeder also breeds Akitas, so Gem and Monty were socialized with them.

J.

I would bet that you could get your deposit back especially if you plan on reporting the conditions the puppy was in and that you were misled on the breeding situation when you agreed to the sale. (I'm sure the internet picture was taken in the "nice air conditioned house" that the "breeders" enjoy. Then the poor puppy taken back to "the barn."

If you choose to go ahead with this (and they are counting on it to keep this unscrupulous operation going) please plan ahead.

#1 Buy the most comprehensive pet insurance you can get before your puppy starts displaying any health problems. (If these folks offer a health guarantee you might as well use it for compost because they either won't honor it fully, or your puppies health problems won't present until you are hopelessly in love with him. (They will want him back to trade for another, like any of us would do that!)

#2 Start a savings account for behavioral training, as he is likely to have issues that are difficult to live with, such as innappropriate biting/teething, chewing, barking, great difficulty with potty training, etc. Good breeders will often keep their puppies with mom and their other dogs (IN THEIR HOME, NOT IN A BARN) until the age of 10 or 12 weeks. Here, they learn from their parents and siblings what is appropriate behavior.

#3 Puppy farm operations breed without regard to previous inherited health issues in the parents. Mitral Valve Disease (MVD), cataracts and other eye issues, patella and hip problems, as well as skin allergies are passed down from generation to generation and it is very likely that your puppy will suffer from one or more of these ailments at a very young age.

If you are saving a few bucks on this end purchasing this puppy, you will most certainly be spending alot of time and money at your vet's in the end.

I didn't mention chronic tummy ailments and possible ear mites, giardia (oh, you did say he had fleas...another BIG RED FLAG.)....

This is certainly your decision here. If you want to "rescue" a dog, there are many, many older dogs that have been taken from breeding farms such as the one you have visited, that have led wretched lives in barns with no loving families or care. They are desperate for homes.

If you choose to buy this puppy, just walk away with him, be prepared for any or all of the above and good luck!

What are the terms of your contract? Is it nonrefundable? That is a red flag right there.

I bet you will find their concern about health did not extend to having cardiologist checked breeding dogs, eye, knee and hip certs, or being aware of syringomyelia...

There is no way I'd take a dog from a breeding farm like that and I'd also report them to the local SPCA, which may not be aware they have a large scale operation like this. I'd also let internal revenue know they are breeding dogs (have they spoken to you about tax on the purchase? I bet not). It is typical for this type of operation to mass breed dogs out in barns and outbuildings that buyers never see the inside of.

As hard as it is, it is important to walk away -- every purchase further rewards and funds their exploitation of the breed.

I"m with Karlin and everyone else. These people need to be stopped. The puppies have FLEAS???????????? I am a very small breeder and also do a lot of rescue. Yes, all puppies need homes, but I know that I do NOT want to contribute to the problem, and this breeder is a problem breeder, the circle just continues until someone does something, whether it's reporting them or just not lining their pockets to continue to bring more misery into this world. Did you ask to see all the breeding dogs? They probably live in cages their whole lives.

Back