• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harness,collar,choke chain or head harness

Never, ever use a choke chain on a cavalier!:eek: I hope no one is doing this.

It is really recommended that cavaliers and small dogs generally NOT be walked on collars alone -- there's ample evidence of tracheal and spinal damage especially in the neck vertebrae resulting from dogs walked on collars alone. And in this breed, already running a risk of syringomyelia, it is advisable to never do anything that risks pulling around the neck. A harness is recommended by most vets for small dogs as well.

Some dog trainers think dogs have to be trained on collars but those are trainers that use jerk 'correction' methods which I'd never recommend anyway; there's no reason to train on a collar rather than a harness. (y) My pals at Dog Training Ireland always have owners of cavaliers get them into harnesses for their training classes. :)

Well my dog and puppy use sensible harnesses now!
Its the best doggy item i have ever bought!!!
I have a collar for each of them too but since buying my 2 yr old the harness it has never been back on(plus the hubby wont walk her in a pink collar and leash!).I probably wont use the collars again.
if only the harneses came in pink with diamonte!!!
Red is nice enough for my girlies anyway!

Chloe uses a Puppia Soft Mess Vest Pink Harness. It's adorable on her and she never pulls!

Suggestions

Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy a good harness in the US? I take it that these should not be bought from just Walmart.....

yes well i would never put a choker on my dog either, but you wouldnt beleive it but the breeder told me to get a choker but i said noooooo way. me and rocky have dog schol on sunday and they use chokers but they said it would be fine if i just use a flat collar so thats what i will use.

When I went to my first dog training class with Leo (RIP) 13 years ago I was presented with a tiny choke chain, everyone in the class was using them so I thought it was ok untill a couple of weeks later all Leo's nice hair was cut to ribbons, fortunatly apart from his hair it didn't do any further damage but I just thought to myself 'this is my cute little boy, why would I want to hurt him in any way' & I threw it away (much to the disgust of the trainer) & bought a harness (again to the disgust if the trainer) - a few weeks later all the small dogs had harnesses!

Personaly I think the puppia harness is the best, it's nice & light & very comfy & washable! I know they're a bit expensive but they last (apart from when they're growing out of them)

I hate choke collars,my mum used them on the Alsations yrs ago all i remember was this awful noise from the dog,and yes it was gasping for breath.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy a good harness in the US? I take it that these should not be bought from just Walmart.....
im guessing you could try ebay but im not to sure get a Puppia one tho they are great and it seems like alot of people on here have them including me :dogwlk::dogwlk::jump:

when i first got alfy, i used a half check chain on him so that it tightened when he pulled but he only needed it for about 2 weeks, and now he is walked on a harness when i walk him but if my dad walks him when i am not there then he walks him on his coller because i keep his harness in the car.

when i first got alfy, i used a half check chain on him so that it tightened when he pulled but he only needed it for about 2 weeks, and now he is walked on a harness when i walk him but if my dad walks him when i am not there then he walks him on his coller because i keep his harness in the car.

How could u use a choke chain even a half one any dog let along a little cavalier. :(How old was Alfie. Really hope he wasnt a baby. Cant believe that anyone could use one of these barbaric things on a dog. Oh really cant believe that someone on this board has used one. The only thing i can think of to excuse u was that u didnt realise the damage they can do.:eek:

he was almost 2 and i neva pulled him back on it, i just put it on losely because i was advised to use one at the vets where i work, i can promise you now that i would never harm my dog!!!!

it really hurt me to think that someone could think that i hurt my dog!!

he was almost 2 and i neva pulled him back on it, i just put it on losely because i was advised to use one at the vets where i work, i can promise you now that i would never harm my dog!!!!

it really hurt me to think that someone could think that i hurt my dog!!

Sorry but try putting one around ur neck and get someone to hold it and u pull. See what happens.How can u put one of these things on losely, the dog pulls the collar tightens.
Didnt mean to suggest u would hurt ur dog purposely but that is what these collars do. Would u use one now?

Sorry but try putting one around ur neck and get someone to hold it and u pull. See what happens.How can u put one of these things on losely, the dog pulls the collar tightens.
Didnt mean to suggest u would hurt ur dog purposely but that is what these collars do. Would u use one now?

no i dont use one now, it is just i was told to use one by my vet, i never realised what harm it could use, i understand now that on a small dog it can cause lots of harm, i have always used half chokes on the larger dogs at the kennels but it is the first and last time i would use it on a small dog!!

Back