Thread: Forget the morning feed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forget the morning feed?

Ollie has, lately, been refusing to eat in the mornings. His stomach is growling and he is clearly hungry but will not eat. I put his food down, leave it for 15 mins and pick it back up. I've been wasting a lot of expensive food!

I feed him 1/4 c in the morning, 1/2 c at night with veggies on top. If he gives up the morning entirely, I guess I should then feed him 3/4 c at night. When I put that much food in his bowl, it looks like an enormous amount!

Is he telling me he only wants to eat at night now? I've never had a dog not eat when food is presented, so I'm a little stumped.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

My lot do this sometimes as well. I just pick it up like u after 15-20 mins. sorry cant be of any help just let u know ur not alone on this, sometimes i think they can be like humans some just dont like eating in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you only give him veggies at night? Maybe he's refusing to eat it without them? Just a suggestion, I dont know too much about it as ollie would eat anything, anytime Sorry I'm not much help.
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is probably just too much food. I don't give any of my dogs that much food in a single day -- two of mine only get half that amount. If he isn't eating then he sounds like he doesn't want that additional feed.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

well i never eat breakfast. if i eat too soon after i wake up i feel ill maybe your pup is the same. i mean theyre not that different to us
    cavaliers are like chocolate...the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Armani has been not eating both of his meals also lately. I just mark it up to being too hot and he's not hungry.
    Idette along w/Armani (Tri) & Tracer - (MS), Goldie & Blackie - kitties

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed the exact same thing with Sasha. I give 1/4 cup in the morning which she refuses, and 1/2 cup at around 4:00 pm which she eats. I don't know whether to add the 1/4 cup to the 4 pm feeding or not. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Should I leave the pm feeding at 1/2 cup and that's it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It doesn't really matter; try combining both and see if she eats it; if not, just stick with 1/2 cup, or cut back if she starts to gain weight. If you try 1/2 cup and she starts getting thin then add some more food daily. I change the amounts my dogs eat all the time -- I cut back if they are gaining, add some if any are dropping weight due to more activity.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Karlin!