Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Annie had a maggot in her face!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor Annie had a maggot in her face!

If you're sqeamish or easily grossed out, then skip this message.

For those who missed my earlier posts, we took Annie to the vet about a week ago because we thought she had been stung by a wasp under her right eye. She had a small scab and a big lump under her eye. The vet put her on antibiotics, but she wasn't getting better. She had basically stopped eating and wasn't her normal Cavalier self.

I took her back to the vet for the fourth time today, and he was somewhat amazed to find that she had a fly larva growing in her skin right under her eye! Apparently it's somewhat common in rabbits and cats, but very unusual in dogs.

The fly is called a cuterebra or botfly (click here for more info), and it lays its eggs on the ground where animals (usually rabbits) have their nests. The eggs stick to the animal's fur and hatch in response to their body eat. The egg hatches, and the larva makes its way into the body through the mouth or nose and deposits itself near the skin surface. I feeds off the host and grows until it matures, then it pops out and flies away.

The darn thing was still squirming when the vet pulled it out. It was about a quarter of an inch long. He showed me some others he had pulled out of animals. One of them was about two inches long and as big around as my little finger.

This all makes sense now, because there are a lot of wild rabbits living in our new neighborhood. The vet didn't even suspect it at first, because he had never seen one in a dog before.

Anyway, Annie already looks like she's feeling better. She'll be on antibiotics for a while just as a precaution, and hopefully the lump will start shrinking now that the "visitor" is gone.
    Dave
    "My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained."

Post Thanks / Like

I always think if you own a dog/dogs expect the unexpected, this story proves it. Poor Annie it must have been so uncomfortable and sore for her but at least the cause of her problem is gone and now she will get better, sending Annie and thanks for sharing
    Andrea
    Jasper tri
    21/Dec/05, Gabby ruby girl 8/Nov/07, and Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!! Good for you in your persistance when you saw she wasn't getting better and kept taking her back. While that totally grossed me out, I can only imagine how uncomfortable that must have been for Annie.

I'm so glad you finally got to the bottom of this and hopefully her poor little eye will be all better in no time.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Oh lord! that's gross poor baby must have felt awful with all that going on. Thank God you kept going back to the Vet. Hope Annie feels much better now
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Annie! You must have been shocked when you found out what it was
    Wishing Annie a speedy recovery
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

Yuck,poor thing.Hope she gets better.

Post Thanks / Like

Yuk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that's quite grim. Poor Annie must have been so uncomfortable. Glad you finally got it sorted and she can return to her usual self.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Annie..well done for your persistance. Hope she feels a lot better now.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

poor annie.

its usually called fly strike and is common in rabbits, if they have dirty bottoms.

i have seen it in a cat and a dog covered in maggots at the emergancy clinic that we have to work at because of normal surgery, sadly the dog had to be put to sleep!!

glad you got it out before it got worse

hugs for annie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Lucy - Poppy - Treva - Alfy
    I LOVE