Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor Annie had a maggot in her face!

Post Thanks / Like

I had another dog a shih tzu and it had the same problem and she died because of it, a very nasty thing!!!
    Katie, mum to ruby 9 months old

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness, that's horrible, glad you finally got rid of it and hope Annie heals quickly. I hope your vet didn't make you pay for all 4 visits after he missed that.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

EEEWWWWW!!! I've never heard of such a thing.
    Thank goodness it's taken care of now, and she will be feeling all better soon.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMGoodness, I'm just catching up with this thread.

How is Annie doing - is she completely recovered yet? I'm so glad your vet figured it out.

I've heard of kittens having maggots but not dogs. We have wild rabbits in our backyard, in fact they've nested for 2 years now. We put up wire fencing to protect the nests so our dogs will leave them alone. Now I just wish the bunnies wouldn't nest here.

Hope she's completely back to normal now!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    OMGoodness, I'm just catching up with this thread.

How is Annie doing - is she completely recovered yet? I'm so glad your vet figured it out.

I've heard of kittens having maggots but not dogs. We have wild rabbits in our backyard, in fact they've nested for 2 years now. We put up wire fencing to protect the nests so our dogs will leave them alone. Now I just wish the bunnies wouldn't nest here.

Hope she's completely back to normal now!
    Hi Cathy!

Annie's doing much better. The lump below her eye is gone, and her face is healing nicely. She's eating better, and she's just about back to her normal Cavalier self. She'll probably have a scar on her face for a while.

The vet said this was the first time he had seen one of these in a dog. It mostly happens to rabbits and cats.
    Dave
    "My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've picked my fair share of maggots out of dogs when I was at the emergancy clinic. it's much more common on poor outside dogs. at least it was just the one, and sound like you caught it early. you don't want to know what happens left untreated. I'm glad she's getting better!