Thread: Sleeping in Puppia Harness okay?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sleeping in Puppia Harness okay?

I am home all day with Dottie and I only put her Puppia Harness on when we go for walks or rides in the car. (The collar goes on in the morning but she doesn't sleep in it because the jingles make me crazy when we are trying to sleep.)

We are going to be traveling with her later this year and will crate her by the bed at the ranch, as we do at home. If she needs to go out at night it would be so much easier to leave the harness on so we can just clip the lead and head out the door.

The question is, is it okay to leave a puppia on to sleep in at night while the dog is crated by the bed. Hers fits just right and she seems very comfortable in it. (A medium/she is 16 lbs.) Anyone???
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

my dogs slept in their puppia harnesses last night Something about a late night walk combined with physical exhaustion, I just didn't take them off They were in the bed with me though.

One thing I do notice though, is that if you leave the puppia on for extended amounts of time, you have to watch out for mats underneath the armpits

Have fun on your vacation!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

I have sometimes left the puppia on over night by mistake and they have been fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not adviseable though to leave them on deliberately for long periods or overnight -- they can get a leg through them the wrong way and if a harness gets caught and the dog struggles they could injure themselves in a crate.

Puppias (at least with my crew) also start to take the hair off their chest if left on for long periods because they rub in quite a large swathe -- of all the harnesses I use they seem to do this more than others. I used to leave the harnesses on because I was home with mine all day, but stopped when I realised they were rubbing off whole areas of hair from their chests. Now the harnesses only go on for walks.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Have noticed when i take the puppia of there does be a awful lot of hair.

Post Thanks / Like

Have noticed when i take the puppia of there does be a awful lot of hair
    Now that you say it I have noticed a HUGE amount of hair on the inside of our puppia's too. I presumed it was just from molting, as mine shed an awful lot..
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louise1823 View Post
    Now that you say it I have noticed a HUGE amount of hair on the inside of our puppia's too. I presumed it was just from molting, as mine shed an awful lot..
    Thats what i thought to.

Post Thanks / Like

Molly hurt her ribs/side from sleeping in her puppia. I think it must have been the buckle pressing into her side and she was quite sore for a few days after that so I never leave them in their puppias for any longer than I have to
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Puppias or any other harness, if left on for long periods will matt the fur on the dogs chest. Minnie (especially) gets matts if I forget to brush her for even a day. Cara has a completely different coat and it doesn't happen to her as much.

I only put on the dogs harnesses when we are going out
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses....I was away for a few days and am just catching up on the threads. Alot of good thoughts here. I have never left it on except for walks so hopefully she will just sleep through the night and we won't have to fumble around with it getting it on at 3am!

She is crated next to the bed so we always know when she has to get up and go. I may also look for a harness that is easier to get into quickly.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear