• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Swallowing sea water :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaytee576

Hi, today I took my little boy billy and Rosie to the beach, Billy ran straight into the sea and was having so much fun, my fiance was there holding him by his harness as we were worried about the waves, but then suddenly out of no where a big wave covered him :( He was ok after but I noticed he drunk some of the sea water :( and on our mad rush back to the dryer part of the beach im sure he swallowed a little more 0_0

Well my rosie had the same thing happen and she is fine, but billy got home and was whining then he seemed all hunched and yelping and we couldnt pin point what he was yelping over, I even touched his nose at one point and he yelped :( then while later he was sick and it was loads of water, this happened twice then little bits after that...now I was in bed with him and he is kinda winging hard to explain but A kinda grown...breath...grown you can hardly hear it but I can as im so worried.

He does seem a little brighter now then he did when he got home, he was off his food at first but now he seems bit more interested. I am 100% sure he didnt swollow jelly fishes I think the salt water has given him real bad tummy ache....do you think so? all replies apriciated xxx

Hello and I am sorry about the problems with your dog. I don't want to sound alarmist, but to be safe, if I were you, I'd be headed straight to the vet. My dog took in water like that this summer, and got it in her lungs, and she died. It is a long story, and hard for me to retell, but you can look at the threads below. Your dogs symptoms sound very similar to Pixie's, and the vet who treated my dog said she saw this more often when she worked in a clinic near the beach in dogs who'd played in the surf. I accidentally called it dry drowning at the time of these posts, but it is actually called delayed drowning. I hope your dog is okay.

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=25419

Sorry, I originally had put the same thread as the first one. Here is the actual followup:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=25437http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=25419

Last edited:
I wanted to add that I also had no idea Pixie had taken in any water into her lungs, and your description of your dog's posture of being hunched over and in pain was just like Pixie. Reading what you have written just really makes me worried and I hope you will go get him checked now.

We had the same,Alfs would drink it when he was little,we had to take him to the vets twice with bad poos and vomiting.The vet told me not to take him to the waters edge and to keep him on the lead till he got alot older.He would also get very ill becos he would eat dead crabs.So my advice is above keep him on the lead and dont go to the waters edge.

I do want to say also that i never realised he was drinking the water but we knew he was crabbing,we did manage to get the crabs off him.He doesnt drink the water any more but we NEVER take him up to the water line becos its better to be safe than sorry.

Hi kaytee,
Definitely get him to the vet.He needs to be checked out asap.Better safe than sorry.
Sins

Hi..just as a precaution I think you should get him to a vet to have him checked..better to be safe than sorry..keep us posted.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

WHY are you posting to a board if you are worried and you saw him do these alarming things?? Why would you even risk the death or serious illness of your dog? :sl*p:

Please, please, please always IMMEDIATELY take your dog to a vet or at the very least ring the vet immediately when you see anything that makes you concerned -- do NOT post to a board and wait for answers. NONE of us are vets and NONE of us can give professional advice.

I have said this many many times, but I will say it again in this very worrying situation, as you were dealing with what could have been a life or death situation (I hope he is OK!). The level of salt alone could cause serious complications and swallowing water as noted could cause death!

Please in future always ring your vet FIRST and then, if it isn't an emergency, if you want, post and ask -- but no one should ever come here first in an emergency or in any situation that seems to possibly need immediate response. Vomiting volumes of water, looking distressed, and being under the weather in most people's books are all alarming and worrying signs of a distressed and ill dog that warrant immediate vet advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back