• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food?

pippa

Hi all,

Since royal canin Cavalier 27 food came on the market I have been feeding it to my three,before that they were on royal canin mini adult.

I am now starting to wonder if it is too high in protein, I was thinking of changing to James well beloved. I asked at the pet store where I now get my food (my old pet store stopped being able to get RC cavalier) as they sell both brands but the woman said better to stick to what their on (she feeds RC). I feel RC is a good food but JWB seems more natural,I often give them JWB meat pouches as a treat and they love it!

Any advice /opinions. Going to the pet store later:confused:

They are both made by the same company. I think RC looks and smells nicer but because of allergies, I used to give JWB. In the end, both disagreed with Dylan tummy and he is now on Chappie canned food.

My 2 are on JWB....one is a puppy and other and adult so they have different food but same flavours.
I have just bought some wet meat pouches from JWB and they LOVE them....only as a treat as I worry about bad teeth.
My 2 yr old cav loves JWB....i had tried every type of food and it was the only one that stopped her bouts of colitis and the only one she ate as soon as it was put out in front of her and is now loving her wet meat pouch as a treat mixed in!!! :p
My 10 week old puppy seems to enjoy it too....so for us its an all round winner!!(y)

I always open 2 different flavours....feed one flavour in the morning and the other flavour in the evening(for the adult, as pup on 3 meals).:flwr:

My two have really sensitive tummies, and when I tried them on JWB pouches it just didnt agree with them. (I've never tried the dried food)

I have managed to get them both onto a food that they love and gulp down when its put in front of them - Royal Canin Mini Light. I went through about 4 or 5 different types of dried foods before this agreed with them both, so Im sticking to it!!

The girl in the pet store gave me three sample sachets of JWB lamb and rice they ate it up as normal and were fine this morning no ( poo ) problems which is what I have to watch out for with Pippin as he used to suffer from colitis. She said they are both good foods but the JWB is all natural and as they do the big bags is better value.RC cavalier will be available in bigger bags in september..still not quite sure whether to change to JWB but as it is only 20 to 21 percent protein and RC cavalier is 27 percent protein, I am drawn toward JWB.. will decide by tomorrow when I will need to buy more food!

I don't think protein levels make much difference. A lot of people feed raw -- at far higher protein -- or Origen which is about 40%+ protein. There's a lot of controversy whether high protein foods are any issue at all. Wild canids would get about 75% protein! The RC argument is that small breeds run a much higher metabolism than larger dogs (true) and need the extra protein.

I like feeding both RC and JWB, alternating every few bags of food. The pouches are supposed to be very good but I find that form of packaging ecologically disappointing -- it all goes to landfill. It i very easy to make your own stews though with meat and rice or oats and some veg -- I cook up big batches (some recipes are in the Library section) and freeze and then thaw containers and add to the dry food. I rarely feed only dry food; I think dogs need more variety and fruit and veg along with fresh meat.

Glad to know the big bags of RC cavalier will be available soon -- I may have those available to people at that time as a rescue fund raiser item, though people would need to collect bags from me directly.

Thanks Karlin..I see what you mean about the pouches,might start to make up some stews for them. I already give them some veg for variety. I was thinking earlier actually about buying a couple of small bags of each and alternating them to see how they get on..they do seem to be doing well on the RC cavalier so maybe I should leave well enough alone. I do remember my vet saying a good while back thats it's good to change foods around every so often..nothing to do with taste..can't quite remember the reason?

It was when pippin had gotton colitis after being settled on a food for about 12 months he said it was good for some dogs to have a change every so often.

PS. I sent you a pm yesterday.... re DJ.

Got the PM and replied! :)

On foods: I suppose you can just rinse out the pouches and put them in the plastic recycling. :lol:. I wish they did tins or tetra packs of that food. I like cooking so am happy to make the dogs the stews -- I alternate what meats I use. I think it is goo to alternate a food every bag or two -- I buy the largest possible bags as you save up to 50% that way so it would take me a month or more to go through a large bag of food.

There are a lot of good foods that can be ordered though zooplus.ie too, with free delivery if the order is over €49 (which it would be for a large bag of dry food). I will try the RC cavalier when it is available in a big bag. My crew will eat about anything. :lol:

I have had Alex my rescue for 3 months now and he has been on Fromms. The story closed that I got it from and now have to change. I went to the store to try the Canin 27 and the clerk said Nutro Max was the same thing, just less money and made by the same people. Do anyone know if this is correct and if it compares with the Fromms?

Jane

I have tried a couple of brands but after trying Royal Canin CKCS I´m sticking with it. Apparantly its very tasty and aromatic ,the coat is great,no bad breath and the stools are firm and easy to "manage" :)

This has been the hardest part for me owning a cav, ruby came to us on dried food from pets at home it upset her belly, we changed after seeing our vet to royal canine no good for her, i am very intrested in this JWB??? never heard of it!! where do you get it from? i want to feed ruby dried food does it come as dried? at the mo we are feeding her bakers complete chicken raw veg and some raw meat.

Hi all,

Since royal canin Cavalier 27 food came on the market I have been feeding it to my three,before that they were on royal canin mini adult.

I am now starting to wonder if it is too high in protein, I was thinking of changing to James well beloved. I asked at the pet store where I now get my food (my old pet store stopped being able to get RC cavalier) as they sell both brands but the woman said better to stick to what their on (she feeds RC). I feel RC is a good food but JWB seems more natural,I often give them JWB meat pouches as a treat and they love it!

Any advice /opinions. Going to the pet store later:confused:

The best advice I have seen on dog food is a summary of internet advice put together in one place here: http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/Dog Food/PetFoodRatingsandAnalysis.htm

For what it's worth -one of the sources they use is a site called Dog Food Analysis http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ and they recommend changing your pet's food about every 3 months: they claim it avoids food borne allergies (and I do know of people with allergies who follow the same regime -- not eating the same meat 3 times a day for example), provides greater variety in the diet (no one brand has it all), and makes for a less finicky eater.

i am very intrested in this JWB??? never heard of it!! where do you get it from? i want to feed ruby dried food does it come as dried?

I had to search around a bit for this..I got it in a pet store fairly local to me.

They stock it in Pet stop superstore..if you have one of those near you. Most large stores stock it. It is dry kibble.

Seems to agree with them all. At the moment I have them on lamb and rice flavour as pippin is allergic to poultry especially chicken. They also do other flavours such as turkey,duck and ocean white fish might try that next.

I won't be using RC cavalier until they have larger bags over here as it is now gone up in price to over 12 euro for a 1 and 1/2 kilo bag! too expensive when you have three dogs. I got a 15 kg bag of JWB for 58 euro!

For what it's worth -one of the sources they use is a site called Dog Food Analysis http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ and they recommend changing your pet's food about every 3 months: they claim it avoids food borne allergies (and I do know of people with allergies who follow the same regime -- not eating the same meat 3 times a day for example), provides greater variety in the diet (no one brand has it all), and makes for a less finicky eater.

My vet also told me this -as you said it works for people so why not dogs too.

Pippin has a severe allergy to anything chicken so I have to be careful what I feed him.

I am so jealous of all of you who can get the RC CKCS where you live! So far it is not available in the states and contacting the company directly was just met with a standard response. :eek:

Do any of you know if there is some (affordable) way to order it online and have it shipped?

Or is it not even that big of a deal? Right now I feed RC for small dogs with sensitive stomaches to Franklin and RC puppy to Penny. I'm such a sucker for advertising though, its kind of pathetic :rolleyes:

Hi

I Rotate between R C cav then Burns with a bit of tuna or boiled coley on top as a taster then Green beans and carrot and broccoli with a squirt of salmon oil .But unfortunately with all the upset tummys for now its Chicken or Turkey with Rice or Egg White till they all recover.

Back