• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Choking on food

ann

What is the best way to deal with our dogs if they get some food stuck in thier throats? Ellie is a greedy eater, and last week while she was eating she got food stuck in her throat........she was very scared, and so was i :eek:......I went too her and patted her side quite hard, and the food ( kibble) shot out. But it got me wondering what the correct way to deal with this is??

I have no advice Ann. I just wanted to sympathise, you must have gotten such a fright! I'd be interested to hear what everyone else has to say on the issue.

My parents dog (a bichon) has the same problem. They lightly soften her food with water. The vet said it would be easier for the food to get down and not so hard. Just a thought.

The brake-fast bowls Karlin gave the website for are amazing. I have two chowhounds who think that if they don't inhale their food, someone will take it from them. These bowls really slow them down. I got these bowls at a time when there was a lot of press in the US about dog toys made in China that contained large amounts of lead. Since my puppy likes to carry his bowl around after he eats, I was concerned. I contacted the owner of the company to question where the bowls were made - in China. The owner was so responsible. He said that all of his dogs use the bowls, so he sent several of each size to an independent testing lab in Virginia. The results came back clean with no lead or toxins found. He had the company send me a report also. I was very impressed with his concern and how he handled the situation. It probably helped that his dogs used the bowls also. Anyway - they work!
Bev, along with Oliver :paw:, Riley :paw:, Madison :paw:, and Oz :paw:

Back