• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New here

jgponder

Hi I am new here. I received my rescue Alex about 3 months ago. He is just the greatest dog ever. Can't imagine how on earth anyone could have given him up. His previous family had 2 little girls who liked cats better and kept him confined to the kitchen or cage. He is 3 years old and the only problems I can see is that he can't get enough love and attention. He is completely house trained and loves to go for walks and in the car. He doesn't know how to play with others or with toys so he is learning. He just loves people and other dogs. From the vets reports it looks like he was kept on a lot of medication and says he is "untrainable". I could not disagree more. I am learning alot from this site and thank everyone for your great information. :lotsaluv:

Jane

Welcome and sounds like you will help this guy get a normal life! I hate vets that just medicate especially for 'training issues' -- this is in my book nonsense. What was he on?

Feel free to send a PM to our resident trainer TKC on the board -- she and her business partner have pioneered training programs for difficult dogs working closely with a vets to keep dogs OFF medication. All the training links I have pinned at the top of the training section have great articles on training using the kind of gentle and fun motivation that should help a dog who has been viewed in this way.

I have a feeling his 'training problems' were being bored stiff in a cage and not getting enough attention or exercise and then being expected to be silent all day in a crate. :(

The sad thing is I bet the family just viewed HIM as the problem, not their weird approach. I see this a lot with the rescue dogs I get given where I am told they are problem cases. They turn out to be totally normal but untrained dogs -- because the OWNERS failed to put any time into them. :rolleyes: The lucky dogs get out of that situation and find a new home. I always emphasise to the original homes, "Well, you have done the responsible thing and at least now you know a dog isn't for you!!" (hint, hint!!) in the hopes that they will never consider doing this to another poor creature.

So glad you and Alex found each other!! You sound like a perfect match. Their loss was your gain. Alex sounds wonderful....and like a typical Cavalier.

Back