• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone with a Japanese Chin

cavi lover

Hi

Is there anyone one on this forum who have chins ? If so please could they PM me.

I do not want to start a thread as it is a cavalier site but would welcome a "chat" with anyone who has experience of chins .Thanks

I don't know of anyone around here who has a Chin, but when we were in China last October, they were plentiful, and the owners of little shops often had them lounging on tables and watching the customers. They were really cute to look at but definately were territorial and growled and barked when we came within 10 feet of them.

These shop dogs appeared to be extremely healthy and beautifully pampered and groomed, but were obviously very attached to their owners and wary of strangers. (I suppose it could have been because I was 6' tall and blonde! Most of the people we saw were Asian and there were very few Westerners or Europeans where we were.)

I think they can be socialized but I understand they are reserved with people they don't know. Are you thinking of getting one?

I think Chins are lovely but they are definantly very different from cavaliers. I know a few people with Chins and they all say that their chins are very"cat-like" as in an indepentant and reserved way. At home they can be total clowns,they just don´t care much about people out side their families .

You are in luck -- Margaret C on the board, who is also on the CKCS club board in the UK, has them and knows plenty about them. :) You can PM her, but she will probably also see this thread. :)

I also understand they are more reserved than cavaliers and have also seen them described as a very clean, 'cat-like' breed. They were one of the breeds I also considered before I decided on a cavalier.

I have a friend at work with a Japanese Chin. He's a friendly little guy. He wags his whole back end when he sees someone he doesn't know. She says he is very cat-like. He cleans his (miniscule) snout with his paws like a cat. He's a little imperious around the house according to her. If he's in her favorite chair, she just goes to another one. It sure sounds like he rules the roost around there! But she loves him to pieces. He is her first dog ever (and she's about 55 years old!)

I don't have a Chin, but I have a friend with a couple of Tibetan Spaniels that I know well and I own a Cavalier/Tibetan Spaniel mix. I also have another friend with a Japanese Chin and I have babysat all these dogs at times. These breeds are closely related and you can see it in their nature.

They all seem to do some things peculiar to their breed. Daisy's mom was spot on. They are cat like, and clean themselves with their paws. They have a regal, imperious nature, I find the Chins are more this way than the Tibbies who are a bit more casual. They are very devoted and like to know where you are at, but also have a mind of their own. That means upon a command (let's say to sit) you get a look from them like "and what's in it for me, huh?" They still celebrate when you come in the door and although some say they are not lap lovers, the ones that I know are.

Fetch usually lasts three throws. At that point they look at you as if to say "I already brought that back for you, why are you making me do it again?" They do like to rough house and tussle.

In regards to strangers coming to the home, they bark a warning, but then if that person is welcomed they tend to wiggle their whole body in excitement waiting for a pet. They tend to be curious so once they are told the stranger is safe, they need to check them out. I find they then tend to be delightfully flirtatious with the new object of their curiousity. It is fun to watch.

Arlene and her three.

At that point they look at you as if to say "I already brought that back for you, why are you making me do it again?"

:rotfl:

I think they are really lovely little dogs. :)

Chins

Thank you all very much for your replies.They have been very helpful.

I do have a little secret and he is called Razzle and yes he is a chin.

He has been rehomed from a breeder as he had grown too big for showing or breeding. He is a nutter and will be starting agility in September when he is a 1yr old.
The vet has given the all clear for him to do this.

So doggy number 2 hits the agility world.

Sorry no piccs will try at some point to get some.

So i now have a cavi and chin gang!

Congratulations, they sound like lovely little dogs l can't wait to see Razzle's pics:lotsaluv:

In haste, must prepare things for my niece's wedding tomorrow, but I will write at more length in a day or two.

I downsized to Chins when I became disabled with arthritis.
I now have 6, having just let my daughter take my kissy, wiggly, loving, puppy George as her family pet.
My little ones live happily with my three cavaliers, they find cavalier tummies make very good pillows
They are really endearing but can be bloody minded.
They all have very different personalities, Bridgette the Midget is the smallest but the boss. Nobody quarrels with her.

Margaret C

Back