Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Grapes & Raisins - just say no!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Grapes & Raisins - just say no!

    At 10 months and having a very healthy constitution, Connie was admitted on Sunday morning with grape poisoning after going down with severe diarrhoea and vomiting. She was put on a drip and placed under observation for 48hrs to avert renal failure - we would have lost her had we not twigged that maybe we'd done something wrong.

    Seems such a silly thing but raisins and grapes can be fatal to dogs. It's fortunate we didn't give her more than the three we did.

    We didn't know, so I hope this post saves life.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    8,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh how scary! Is she okay now? Please let us know how she's doing after her 48 hours. I do know that grapes and raisins are toxic...and know that with such a small breed just a small amount can be deadly. But I know a lot of people aren't aware of this. I was at a huge Cavalier gathering and noticed an older gentleman feeding grapes to the dogs. He had no idea what he was doing. I gently let him know that he shouldn't feed anyone else's dog any kind of food without an okay from them. And then let him know that grapes, in particular, can be particularly dangerous. I didn't want to embarrass him or make him feel bad (my father in law used to try to feed the dogs food. I suggested he bring a small bag of baby carrots to feed the dogs, they were good the dogs and the dogs would love him for it).
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    She's bounced back well, thankfully. We saw her today and she was almost back to her young self, rather than the dishevelled and in pain wreck we left with the vet on Sunday.

    We'll be bringing her home again tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I'm so glad she's improving!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for posting, I'm always reminding people about grapes as not everyone knows. I'm glad you pointed out it was only three grapes.
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So sorry to hear about this and glad she's improving! I only found out in the last 2 years that grapes were toxic to dogs! I used to give them to Paco all the time! He never got sick though, thank God!!! I now give baby carrots to the dogs.
    Lisa~Mom to~
    Lola(Blen) Paco(Chi) Sisco Sylvester
    and 2 Beautiful Kids!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've just copied your post and emailed it to all my friends and family with dogs.
    ....
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New Jersey USA
    Posts
    2,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I am so sorry to hear about Connie but thrilled that she is better now.

    Here is a link you might find useful:

    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...pcc_poisonsafe

    It has some good tips on what is okay and not okay to feed (people foods). Also there are links to poisonous plants too, so you can check to make sure your garden is safe.



    Lucky sends some get well kisses to sweet Connie.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,981
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Thanks for this important post; I have seen so many people dismiss the possibility that their dog could have this happen and who think grapes and raisins are fine. Can I crosspost? I won't include your name, but I think it really important for people to know this can happen.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I knew about grapes &raisisns but I never thought such a little amount as 3 raisisns could do so much harm So one really really has to take care when the kids are having this a snack,crate the dog and vaccumclean before letting the doggie out again.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •