Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Grapes & Raisins - just say no!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Thanks for this important post; I have seen so many people dismiss the possibility that their dog could have this happen and who think grapes and raisins are fine. Can I crosspost? I won't include your name, but I think it really important for people to know this can happen.
    Of course!

    Thanks for all the concern - she's back home now. Very tired from all the stress and pain by the looks of things.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I'm glad she's back. That is really scary -- especially as a lot of the poison websites claim a dog would have to eat a lot more grapes than raisins so people might not suspect the cause from so few grapes.

    I found this article:

    http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxi...ape_raisin.htm

    Seems they do not know why they cause this reaction sometimes in some dogs. I also read a vet's article that said the effect is cumulative -- ie feeding them over time can make the problem arise, but don't know if that is documented or not.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's the article we found... http://www.dog-games.co.uk/poisontreats.htm

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    8,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So glad she's home and safe. That is really scary that it was so few that caused such a bad reaction.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Yes, that is the one that has a fairly wide circulation, I've seen it before posted to various lists. Many people have wondered if it could be true or was a fake but Snopes confirms it is true and obviously your own experience, too! Also this vet is listed as practicing in Vernon, Ohio, so is definitely a real person.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If not this thread, could we please sticky a 'Poisonous to dogs list'?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    We have a 'Poisonous Foods and Plants' list in the 'Caring for Your Cavalier' section of Karlin's permanent library:
    http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9503

    And several people regularly post about foods that are toxic to dogs. I think Pauline was the most recent one to post a reminder.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •