• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Raw marrow bones

hbmama

I switched Dottie to Primal Raw several months ago. Love it! She is doing so well on it and so far so good.

The question I have is.....when I go to buy the food at the local "Pet Supply" I have noticed bags of frozen raw beef bones (I think that's what they are) in the freezer along side the frozen patty food. Should I be giving her a bone once or twice a week? Do you thaw them out first or let them chew on them frozen. (I know this is probably a stupid question, but I do give frozen kongs, so, had to ask.:rolleyes:)....Also, they look kind of large for a little dog. Do you give the bone and let them chew on it for 10 or 15 minutes then throw it away? Thanks in advance for input here, as I am kind of new at this!

I sometimes give my guys raw, frozen marrow bones. I pick mine up at Whole Foods. I will only give them fairly large ones since Shelby is a gulper and I don't want her to actually eat the bone, just gnaw on it. They get about 20 minutes in their crates with their bones.

I give my boys marrow bones, and like Cathy, they have about 20 minutes with their bones and then I throw them away. They're probably cheaper if you buy them from a butcher or Whole Foods...the butcher by my house will cut them to whatever size you want. I thaw them first so they can dig out that yummy marrow :D. They chew them on a towel for sanitary reasons, and once they get all the meat off the bone and all of the marrow out they lose interest...

I gave my lot marrow bones for the first time last week, i got mine from the butchers he gave me 4 medium to small sized bones for 75 p...cheap as chips from the butchers.

I did notice they did have white poop for a couple of days though, mind you they were alot easier to pick up..lol must remember to put their snoods on next time though, their ears got alot of the raw meat in them....yuk

My lot love a good chew on their bones, i give them 20 mins on them, after that i also throw them away, but someone told me after they have had a chew on them you can wash them with boiling water, NOT boil them as in cook, but just pour hot water from the kettle on them and give them a rub over then bag them and pop them in the freezer, then they can have another go and chewing...not done this and i think it sounds alittle odd, has anyone on here heard of others doing this?

Back