• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can Vaccinations put Dogs off food

Mimi

Hi ,
My girls Heidi and Nifa had their annual booster just over a week ago . Nifa is always fussy with food and needs alot of coaxing to eat . Heidi is just a put down the bowl and I'll eat it type of girl . She's off her food for the last week and lost a little weight . She will eat canned food , but not her Royal Canin . She wont say no to biscuits or chicken though .
Am I worrying unnecessarily . The Vet said she's in great health when he saw her last week .
Mimi

Yes, they can feel a little under the weather because a vax stimulates the immune system by challenging it. Some dogs have no problem -- mine never have -- but others may feel unwell and react by not eating, sleeping a lot, etc. If you are concerned and this seems to go on for a long time, give your vet a ring to make sure it isn't anything more serious. (y)

I would give it more time before I got worried. as long as she hasn't lost her appetite completely I'm sure she'll be back on track soon. you know something's wrong if they refuse canned food or treats.

Update

Hi an update on Heidi ,
She still wasnt herself yesterday so I brought her to the vet , and she had a temperature . He couldnt find anything visibly wrong , so I had to bring her back this morning for blood tests .He gave her an injection of antibiotics last night too . So now my little Heidi is at the Vets , on a drip with a high white cell count from an infection , and an abnormal liver function test . I'm in work worrying about her .
I knew she was off form I'm so worried .
Mimi

Sorry to hear about Heidi. You must be beside yourself with worry :( She's in the best place for her though and I'm sure she'll be right as rain in no time. Thinking of you :flwr:

Please keep us informed about Heidi.

I hope the vet figures out what's causing this and can make her feel better very soon. :xfngr:

So sorry to hear Heidi isn't feeling well. Hoping the drip and antibiotics will perk her back up again. Please be sure to ask your vet if he thinks this is a reaction to vaccinations so you can have this information for the future.

Hugs to Heidi.

Hi ,
Thanks for the kind words , she's staying overnight , her first time in the vet overnight without Nifa . They are doing more tests tomorrow . Nifa is looking everywhere for her , Rua is just taking it in his stride .
Waiting for a call from the vet to give me an update this evening .
Mimi

Back