• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help anyone?

Lozzy100

I have 4 cavaliers in total , but when i first started looking into owning this little breed i am very sad to say i did little research into where to buy one from, anyway my star who is 4 years old, was not a normal puppy by any means, i wont say where i got her from on here, but if anyone wants to pm me i am happy to give the info, lets just say the women the breeds several dogs...i think enough said on that.

Anyway i went there to collect my cute bundle of fun, i did not see mum the pups were in a crate in the kitchen i was not clued up at all then, anyway i asked the breeder to open the crate and i wanted the pup to choose me, anyway the smallest of the litter my star came over and plonked on my lap, so needless to say she came home with me, i got her home and she was acting strange, she would not play only tried to hide in dark places like behind the sofa etc, i just thought she needed time to settle in and find her place within the family unit, at that time i had my elderly GSD who tried to comfort her and lie with her.

48 hours later she was still withdrawn and was not eating and scratching the air ..i took her to the vets who told me she was riddled with ear mites and had worms, she also had a murmour, and was pooping blood. i phoned the breeder up to ask her to get her other pups checked out, i was not prepared for the level of abuse i got on the phone.

Anyway she is now 4 years old and still rarely plays, she acts strangely still, rubbing herself around, and coughs alot, i mean the cough is like a deep furball cough and her hind legs give way its like she is going to be sick..if you know what i mean, none of my other cavs do this, apart from rub them selfs when they are wet which is normal, or chew their ears after eating..lol

Well the vet now says he cant hear a murmour, but she snores even when she is awake, although its alot softer when she is awake, she scratches and yelps like she is in pain, although these episodes are far and few between they are getting more regular , i have mentioned that i would like her to be tested and scanned but the vets just say lets wait and see . She does appear to have some of the symptoms, but she does not yelp when i touch her head or anywhere else....so i am starting to think maybe the vet is right...as he says if she had it as she is now 4 it would be very apparant...if anyone has any input they would like to share i would be very greatful...thanks guys x

Sorry to hear you are going through this :flwr:
Thankfully I have never had to go through SM :)xfngr:) but there are alot of others on this forum who have who I'm sure will be able to give you good advice. I think that I would consider bringing Star to a different vet for a second opinion. There is lots of info on SM in the library section of the site, maybe you could print it off and bring it to your vet? I hope it all turns out well. Thinking of you and Star :hug:

I forgot to mention that when star scratches she licks her lips constantly and wimpers, i am going to mention this to the vets and not ask but TELL them i want an MRI to be done, i know this is going to cost but i think the sooner we know one way or the other is going to be better than sitting her watching her and wondering is this SM ...fingers crossed they can do it there, as they are a vet hospital..fingers crossed anyway.

your in the right place on this forum Lorraine people here have a huge understanding of this breed . in syringomyeia and showing and training to all aspects of the breed history
I am sure all your questions can be answerd from various members who have huge experience to offer .

I do have some seminar DVD's with Claire Rusbridge you can borrow if you like they give a good insight to SM and other issues

your in the right place on this forum Lorraine people here have a huge understanding of this breed . in syringomyeia and showing and training to all aspects of the breed history
I am sure all your questions can be answerd from various members who have huge experience to offer .

I do have some seminar DVD's with Claire Rusbridge you can borrow if you like they give a good insight to SM and other issues

Thanks Lisa, i have read heaps on this, sadly star has started yelping when we touch her neck, this is not all the time though, just now and again, but the cry is heart breaking, she rubs her face on everything that she can and is now scratching and yelping, but again this is not all the time, but my worst fear is that she could be suffering with SM, we are going to get her scanned in london in a few weeks but i am just hopeing it comes back clear, as i just dont know how much i could take at the moment, as i cant bear the thought of looseing her. Ok please can someone on here with knowledge on this answer me this question, when star yelps or rubs her face , her eyes are HUGE almost looks like her eyes are going to pop out her head, is this due to the fact she is in pain, or is this another symptom of SM???

Like i said she is not like it all the time, i have spoken to a lovely breeder about this, and she says that star could have a mild form of it, if it is mild could this be treated? i dont want her to have the op after reading this is not very successful and a few dogs have passed away shortly afterwards, i am trying to learn all i can on this , in hope to help my little star.

Oh and i will be getting my other cavvies MRI scanned shortly too. please keep fingers crossed that the results for them all will good x

Thanks guys xx

Its hard to say until the scan results come back , it works on a grade system i hope all is well with star everything crossed here . 4 out of 5 of mine are not scanned 2 of mine are under 2 ( scans preferd over 2years old ) as we are no longer breeding and have no symptoms I won't put them through it , India is in season now but after long talks we are not having another litter which many have said is a shame as i have been offerd a clear scanned dog to use but my hearts not in breeding anymore.

hope all is well for star
Lise x

Last edited:
Its hard to say until the scan results come back , it works on a grade system i hope all is well with star everything crossed here . 4 out of 5 of mine are not scanned as we are no longer breeding and have no symptoms , India is in season now but after long talks we are not having another litter which many have said is a shame but my hearts not in breeding anymore.
Lise x

It is only star that is showing symptoms, Lola does not show any signs and nor do Kc or tia, but this does not mean they are not carriers of the disease there fore i am going to get them all tested.

Sorry to hear your heart is not in it no more, i do think it is a shame though, as we need good breeders to ensure the health of this lovely breed. But who knows you could change your mind :)

If she is yelping and doing these things it doesn't sound likely to be 'mild'; just be aware of this. She is showing clear signs of pain due to something, whether it be SM or not. These are typical SM symptoms though. Whatever it is I would want her to have some pain relief now.

Would your vet not consider looking at Clare Rusbridge's treatment diagram and try getting her on gabapentin or some other painkiller in advance of making this trip? I am sure your vet could talk to the neurologist for advice. She sounds very uncomfortable.

I would also have a dog that is coughing see a cardiologist, not a vet. Vets often miss murmurs entirely.

If she is yelping and doing these things it doesn't sound likely to be 'mild'; just be aware of this. She is showing clear signs of pain due to something, whether it be SM or not. These are typical SM symptoms though. Whatever it is I would want her to have some pain relief now.

Would your vet not consider looking at Clare Rusbridge's treatment diagram and try getting her on gabapentin or some other painkiller in advance of making this trip? I am sure your vet could talk to the neurologist for advice. She sounds very uncomfortable.

I would also have a dog that is coughing see a cardiologist, not a vet. Vets often miss murmurs entirely.

The breeder who i discussed her with said she thinks she has it mild because she does not yelp or scratch all the time, but it does seem to be in the evenings, but again not every night or even every other night, but can be a few times a week, to maybe once a week, she said if it was severe she would be like this all the time, but yes i am going to call my vet and see if we can get her seen and put on something for the pain in the meantime, i am still learning about this horrible condition, and because i plan on breeding from my ruby girl she has already been eye tested and was clear, but now going to wait until she is 2 and half and then get ALL the appropriate health tests done on her and on my boy to try and reduce the risk to future pups. Just wished i knew what i know now 4 years ago when i got star. but TBH i would not be without her, she is such a loving little girl and so eager to please.

Thanks everyone for your advice. x

It is only star that is showing symptoms, Lola does not show any signs and nor do Kc or tia, but this does not mean they are not carriers of the disease there fore i am going to get them all tested.

Sorry to hear your heart is not in it no more, i do think it is a shame though, as we need good breeders to ensure the health of this lovely breed. But who knows you could change your mind :)

I;m sure you already know that a scan won't give any indication if they are carriers just if they are affected thats why i'm not scanning there is no point if i'm not breeding of course if i felt any of mine were effected than scanning is the only diagnosis .

hope results are ok for star
Lise

Back