Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anal gland problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anal gland problem?

Hi all,
    Daisy has not been in good form for the last two days.She seems a bit stiff on her hind legs and very depressed.Initially I thought it was part of going into heat as she's due any day now.
    However she won't let me touch her hindqurters and seemed very distressed when she was being washed yesterday.She's constantly licking the base of her tail forcefully and her right hindquarters obsessively and cries a bit.
    Could it be an anal gland problem? She's finished a course of antibiotics about a week ago for a skin infection so I hate the idea of her taking another course.There's no evidence that she's actually gone into heat as yet.
    Hubby phoned the vet last night and he didn't seem unduly concerned and gave us an appointment for two o clock this afternoon.
    (Rural vets don't seem too put out by a dog being in pain do they?).
    And then to top it all I had to take my son to the GP at 9.30 last night with bronchitis so between the pair of them I'll be broke and emotionally worn out.
    *Sighs*
    Question really could this be a gland problem?.. or a yeast infection after antibiotics? I guess I'll need to keep her crated at vets in case she goes into heat and causes a riot in the waiting room.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Sins, hope all goes well at the vets. Let us know how you get on
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

Hope everything goes well at the vets, let us know how you get on. I have noticed that also about Rural vets, when I moved to Westmeath I had terrible problems trying to get a vet, they were not interested once they heard it was a dog!
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Well the news isn't great. She has impacted/infected anal glands as we suspected. The vet was unable to squeeze out infected fluid so she's on antibiotics until next Wednesday and he'll try again.
    If this fails she'll have surgery.
    It's disappointing as this came out of nowhere, she was fed a good quality diet but vet says he sees a lot of this with cavaliers and other small dogs.
    It will leave some small scars and will probably rule out showing her.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no Sins!! So sorry to hear this...but hear it much too frequently. My understanding is that some dogs are just prone to problems regardless of what they are fed. Hoping your vet is able to relieve her without surgery. Give her some gentle kisses from me.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

for you & Daisy.
    Hopefully she wont need surgury
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry to hear this, hopefully she will make a full recovery x
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry sins i hope that she makes a speedy recovery
    Mom to freddie 1 yr old (blen), baxter 1 yr old (ruby) and molly 3yr old (tri)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sins, I am so sorry to hear that Daisy isn't well. Hopefully the vet will be able to sort her our next week and she won't need surgery.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

Hope it clears up without surgery..I know how distressing it can be Pippin had this problem last year and it burst! Very sore and messy and the poor little thing didn't even complain..He was right as rain in a week or so though..best wishes for a speedy recovery for Daisy and your son.

BTW when it happened to pippin we had to rush him to the vets and while I was there I got a call about my son and had to leave Pippin with my daughter and rush my son to hospital! It's amazing how these things happen together.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)